Gunner Kiel Welcome To Notre Dame

Talk of ND football

Gunner Kiel Welcome To Notre Dame

Postby algoldendomer » January 17th, 2012, 6:21 pm

And kudo's to Brian Kelly for landing the no. 1 overall QB available this year.

I hope this means that Tommy Rees will not again see the field. Weak arm, too many turnovers and can't run - time to take it up a notch Irish.
algoldendomer

Re: Gunner Kiel Welcome To Notre Dame

Postby coachcft » January 17th, 2012, 10:42 pm

Im hppy but not thrilled. The last thing I want is for the camera to be panning the sidelines if/when things dont go perfetcly. Golson deserves a legit shot spring/fall.

Id like to see Golson emerge and produce, hendrix happy with a backup role and maybe even red zoning it in, Rees being supportive and satisfied that he was an important piece during a transition, and Kiel carrying their bags for a year... at least

the REAL prized needs are Armstead and another CB(wright, poole or darby)
coachcft

Postby coachcft » January 18th, 2012, 2:04 am

BTW AGD, in regards to your 4-3 comment if we land the Armsteads, Im not even sure THAT will be enough... I realize its not very likely/viable, but with what would be an incredible amount of talent in the front "7" and a skinny secondary, I almost wonder about a 4-4 ... if it were HS, its a no brainer....
coachcft

Postby irish88 » January 21st, 2012, 4:39 am

Serious AGD, you think the lack of offensive production and turnovers was primarily Rees' fault?

The root cause is the fact that BK calls too many high risk passing plays in positions on the field that do not make sense. Its like there is no strategy; it seems he just dials them up at random. And the most disgusting thing? He never puts the blame on himself.

Until we get an OC that can call a decent game...strategically call plays and create mismatches...it will not matter who is at QB.
irish88

Postby algoldendomer » February 1st, 2012, 8:10 pm

Yes, it was primarily Rees' fault, and Kelly's for playing him.

The kid has a weak arm, too weak to accurately make the long pass, and he's completely immobile, and he throws too many turnovers and fumbles the ball regularly. Other than that, he's great!
algoldendomer

Postby coachcft » February 1st, 2012, 11:46 pm

NDs offense will be forced to be very creative next year. Look for alot of 2TE sets, Eifert moving around alot(wide, tight, motion) and Troy Niklas coming over from OLB occasionally to do some part time TE work(bet on it). I also think it possible to see 2 backs occasionally like UF did under Meyer and Auburn did with Newton. GA III is going to move to the slot and run bubble screens and drags(even though I think they dont trust his ability right now to catch). They'll spend alot of time with him is my guess. Lastly, I dont expect it, but could even see the possibility of Golson moving around if Hendrix is on the field at QB for screens and trick plays.
coachcft

Return to Notre Dame Football Discussion