STOP THE BLEEDING!!

Talk of ND football

STOP THE BLEEDING!!

Postby coachcft » January 13th, 2012, 10:01 pm

We are on the cusp of losing another 4-star recruit. Taylor Decker is in Columbus sitting amongst Urban Meyer(who bats 1,000 with ND recruits he wanted at Florida), Ed Warriner(OLine coach who he looked forward to playing for) and Tim Hinton(his recruiting contact since over a year ago). His own family wanted OSU for him.

Due to BK's mismanagment/pride, this whole coaching migration happened. We went from looking like a tight family to everyone for themselves in a few days. Diaco is there and staying while he waits for a head job. HIS side of the ball looks better and better with each year. He'll get plucked soon. Martin just got a massive promotion, no need to go anywhere. Alford, Elston, Cooks too young/inexperienced to move up just yet. I dont get the sense that anyone feels loyal to BK. Does anyone else see that too or is it just me?

Either way, we need National Signing Day to get here FAST before we lose anyone else. BK is in major damage control mode and I wonder how much people beyond our PAID staff are helping him.
coachcft

Re: STOP THE BLEEDING!!

Postby ndtildeath » January 14th, 2012, 4:46 am

Oh brother.... tick tock tick tock
ndtildeath

Postby domer » January 15th, 2012, 11:22 pm

and just like that, he's gone.

coachcft wrote:We are on the cusp of losing another 4-star recruit. Taylor Decker is in Columbus sitting amongst Urban Meyer(who bats 1,000 with ND recruits he wanted at Florida), Ed Warriner(OLine coach who he looked forward to playing for) and Tim Hinton(his recruiting contact since over a year ago). His own family wanted OSU for him.

Due to BK's mismanagment/pride, this whole coaching migration happened. We went from looking like a tight family to everyone for themselves in a few days. Diaco is there and staying while he waits for a head job. HIS side of the ball looks better and better with each year. He'll get plucked soon. Martin just got a massive promotion, no need to go anywhere. Alford, Elston, Cooks too young/inexperienced to move up just yet. I dont get the sense that anyone feels loyal to BK. Does anyone else see that too or is it just me?

Either way, we need National Signing Day to get here FAST before we lose anyone else. BK is in major damage control mode and I wonder how much people beyond our PAID staff are helping him.
domer

Postby coachcft » January 16th, 2012, 1:11 am

Well... my OP expressed what I felt. I can only add this:

BK has been saying for like a year "When we got here, there was major gaps on the roster which we will address in the 1st two classes. After this second class, we will only be replacing". This BTW is little more than an obvious swipe at Weis, "his" players and anything to do with the previous regime. So lets look ahead.

Looking forward to next year, we will not be in a permanent replacement mode. We recruited 1 CB in this class and 2 Olineman. EVERY class should have 2 CBs and minimum 3 Oline(sometimes 4). PLus, we'll need a QB, a TE, a PUNTER, and with only 1 ILB in 2 years, we'll need 2 of those also. With the exception of NT, Safety, and OLB, we'll need to recruit an entire team. Add the recruiting situation comment to his "Im happy to announce we'll have the staff continuity" comment a couple weeks ago and its almost as if the guy is just opening his mouth to switch feet.

I really REALLY hope this guy can figure out how to reverse the flow of energy that he helped create. If not, well, you know....
coachcft

Postby algoldendomer » January 16th, 2012, 2:02 pm

You win some (i.e. Lynch and Stephon Tuitt) and you lose some (Taylor Dumbass Decker) - face it - a verbal commitment isn't worth very much. Let's all pray that Arik Armstead says he's Irish today and begins class tomorrow, shall we?

One thing I will not knock Kelly for is recruiting. He lost Decker's recruiter and position coach to Urbie Meyer so losing Decker is not all that surprising. Of course, comparing tOSU with Notre Dame? This is a 40-year mistake the kid is making. Folks in South Bend use tOSU degrees to wipe their ass, that's how much that piece of paper is worth.
algoldendomer

Postby algoldendomer » January 16th, 2012, 3:24 pm

Face it, there is no way that Notre Dame can compete with the kind of offer ($$$$$$$$$) that Urban Meyer can put on the table at tO$U.
algoldendomer

Postby coachcft » January 16th, 2012, 5:38 pm

AGD, Im not necessarily knocking him for recruiting. What I am placing him at fault for is the overrall mismanagment of this. We will never know what really happened behind closed doors, but this avalanche started within hours of the FSU game leaving us to only speculate.

I think we can all agree on the basis that "A good manager/boss is one who doesn't surprise you." He lays out the expectations.He listens to your input and knows your wants. Make a mistake, he shows you the way to correct it and warns you as to future consequences all the way leading up to termination.

What certainly seems to have happened is that there was major fallout from Warriner being surprised, or even feeling justified to BE SURPRISED. I wonder what happened BEFORE the game, December if you will after Molnar was let go/took a Head job. His clear choices were Warriner/Molnar. Just like your QBs or ANY position for that matter, you sit them both down, TOGETHER, and you say "Guys, you have obviously both done great work and I can only choose one to be OC. I want you both to stay. But I also understand the possible need/temptation to want to move somewhere else in the event that you arent OC." Afterwards you talk to them individually and discuss if anything can be done to retain them if they aren't OC. This way, IF one leaves, it's not done on such surprising and bitter terms. No one is shocked, from coaches on down to recruits.

I just feel like Kelly's Napoleonic pride is what is costing us sometimes. I just hope Diaco, Cooks, Alford, Martin and Denbrock continue to fight to get us enough recruits to help clean up behind him. Armstead(s) ad/or Garnett, Darby return or Wright signing would be fabulous, as you say. But its Kelly's energy that is what makes me feel like he generates so little loyalty from those around him. THIS is what I fault him for.
coachcft

Postby algoldendomer » January 16th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Be patient. Lose a 4star and maybe gain a couple 5stars. And who knows, maybe Decker will flip back (if he's smart he will - Ohio State's academics? really?).

Mike Farrell at Rivals reports that Gunner Kiel will be in class tomorrow - in South Bend, not Baton Rouge.
algoldendomer

Postby coachcft » January 17th, 2012, 12:30 am

You're right... and Im trying to be...

Saw that about Kiel(although Im happy with Golson/Hendrix)...And dont forget about whats going on with the Armsteads now(especially in light of the CAL DLine coach accepting a job at U of Washington TODAY!) Arik was a heavy Cal lean 12 hours ago. Now its up for grabs.

..this recruiting stuff is nuts
coachcft

Postby algoldendomer » January 17th, 2012, 1:10 am

And don't write off Decker, not yet at least. I hear Decker's father is not a happy camper about the switcheroo. And one thing about Brian Kelly - he doesn't give up easily in recruiting. Weis never would have gotten Tuitt and Lynch, but Kelly refused to give up on them.

Decker may or may not get a higher caliber of football in Columbus than in South Bend - that remains to be seen, especially with the sanctions against their cheating program. One thing is absolutely without question - the Notre Dame degree is worth far, far more than a tOSU degree, in Ohio and especially anyplace else Decker might choose to live. And Notre Dame will see to it that he graduates; tOSU - can't be so sure.
algoldendomer

Next

Return to Notre Dame Football Discussion