Hinton, OK.. but Warriner????

Talk of ND football

Hinton, OK.. but Warriner????

Postby coachcft » January 2nd, 2012, 5:48 pm

It comes as little surprise that Tim Hinton left for what will most assuredly be Ohio State in the next few hours or tomorrow. He has worked with Meyer before and has alot of respect for Urban, not to mention is from Ohio. We owe him a fond farewell and a thank you for doing a great job with Cierre and certainly Jonas. Replacing him shouldnt be impossible as you can look to Tony Alford to move from WRs to RBs where he'd prefer to be. And now, now, now is the time to hire Tim Brown as WRs coach. Kelly may fear his legend on campus though, he doesnt want anyone that flirts with competing with his ego. Brown is a solid guy and I think would want the job. And he would click with guys like Cooks, Alford and certainly the players.

The surprising defection is Ed Warriner. DAYS after Kelly "proudly announced that the staff will remain intact a second straight year", we lose 2 coaches. This might not be a total humiliation, but is certainly egg on the face.

Hinton as stated is understandable, but Why would Warriner leave? Mmmmm..... lets consider this. He did a fabulous job. The OLine was the only piece of the offense that went without criticism all year(unless you consider Golic Jr, the backup, during Stanford). He graded at an A+. He was incredibly appreciated by the press. He ran a BCS offense at Kansas, they year they WENT to the BCS game under Mangino. The OLine players constantly praise him. And he doesnt have a job waiting for him.

Where there is smoke, there is fire....

...I seem to remember on 2 or 3 occasions when the cameras panned to the sideline and Kelly was snapping at Warriner(1 particular instance vs USF when he encouraged Kelly to go for it). My guess is: Warriner doesnt like Kelly much and might not like the direction we're headed and no longer wants to hitch his trailer to him. Keep your eyes on this one, surely Kelly will try and take any attention away from this...guaranteed.
coachcft

Re: Hinton, OK.. but Warriner????

Postby coach_kelly » January 3rd, 2012, 2:15 pm

This is also a statement about the shape of our program. It should be a small wake-up call that Notre Dame is not the dream destination job of years past. It will not be that wake up call for a few of the stubborn blow-hards on this forum, they fail to grasp logic anyways so these words aren't for them. They are for the casual reader who is smart enough to see the trend that is occurring here. Sure, we can scapegoat Kelly again...but I would rather look at this with a bit of honesty. You know as well as I do that there is this nagging fear inside you that Notre Dame has lost its shine. Notre Dame will always be sacred and will always be proud of who we are, but we have been painted as one of the worst destinations for a successful up and coming coach in all of college football. Why on earth should a coach with over around 170 wins and 60 losses even dare to touch this program? Bitchy alumni, whiny fans, administration that will turn on you in a heartbeat, selfish players, and worst of all a culture of entitlement. No coach in his right mind would risk that. Urban Meyer took one look and said no. Bob Stoops told us to go fly a kite. We aren't going to pull an elite coach until we pull our collective heads out of our asses and support the one we have. You think people don't see our shitty behavior? You think prospective elite coaches are blind to the way Kelly has been treated? The guy is under the gun from day one - he gets no quarter and there are no excuses. This is Notre Dame, and we are arrogant and don't require rebuilding.

I know that this will be followed by an ignorant response most likely baited with a playground bet - but that isn't the point of what I wrote. Just ask yourself, casual reader, if you haven't been having the same nagging doubts about our luster as of late? Then ask yourself what crazy person would take this job. I can give you a hint, he's the head coach of our program right now and he's pretty much insane. We knew that when we hired him, now all the armchair quarterbacks and pee-wee football coaches want to flash their copy/paste skills from online football resources. All in an effort to scapegoat our coach. A guy who has improved Notre Dame. Do we really want to get rid of him and run the risk of Weis Part 2 and go 3-9 again? I say no.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Postby ndtildeath » January 11th, 2012, 11:55 pm

Goodness gracious, has anyone seen this chunky, short screamer we might hire from Tennessee? They were like 115 of 120 last year and he's being run out of town in KNoxville. Man, looks like Kelly screwed the pooch with Warriner.
ndtildeath

Postby goirish2012 » January 12th, 2012, 12:17 am

HIRE ME AND WE WILL WIN!!!!!

AND I MEAN IT!!!!!

I don't understand the problem here? We have the players... Men we don't have the proper system in place and that goes with the head coach... The staff follows his plan. Weis wasn't that bad if all he had to do was call plays (Offense side of the ball) at Notre Dame. He blew it when he was trying to force his system or lack of system on the other side of the ball...

Again - We have the players here. But you need to let them play the game to each ones strength...

We had the best WR in college football!!! Get him the damn ball!!! And I mean NOW not on 70% fade routes ball up for grabs. Damn man we had so much speed at the slots. GET THEM THE BALL!!! NOW!!!

I won't even get into our solid set of backs...

For the record... I have no problem with Kelly as a coach!! I have a problem with how he uses our talent. His system works against some other schedule that has teams that don't consist of top athletes. Notre Dame plays a schedule of teams that can get after the QB. You can't run medium to long pass patterns every time you throw the ball.

We need a coach here at Notre Dame that can handle the pressure and that also knows all phases of the game very well. Or you need a head coach that knows one side GREAT and has no problem letting the coordinator of the other side of the ball run that show all the way to the end... Hire the guy that gets the job done and stay out of his way...

IT WORKS...

Brian Kelly if your reading this - Good luck this year and let's win a CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!! All I ask is you evaluate your players and your schedule...
goirish2012

Postby domer » January 13th, 2012, 12:52 am

From an ohio state site, http://theozone.net/football/2012/hinton_warriner.html

Warinner, a 50-year old Strasburg, Ohio native, is a graduate of the University of Mount Union, where he played both football and baseball. He has a brother who already works at Ohio State in the compliance office, and Columbus became an obvious destination for him after two years as the offensive line coach and running game coordinator at Notre Dame.

“My hunch is Hinton was leaving regardless, but Warinner would have stayed at Notre Dame if Brian Kelly had made him offensive coordinator,” Sampson added.

“When Warinner was ‘passed over,’ he then began to look at other options and Meyer made Ohio State one of those.”

coachcft wrote:
The surprising defection is Ed Warriner. DAYS after Kelly "proudly announced that the staff will remain intact a second straight year", we lose 2 coaches. This might not be a total humiliation, but is certainly egg on the face.

Hinton as stated is understandable, but Why would Warriner leave? Mmmmm..... lets consider this. He did a fabulous job. The OLine was the only piece of the offense that went without criticism all year(unless you consider Golic Jr, the backup, during Stanford). He graded at an A+. He was incredibly appreciated by the press. He ran a BCS offense at Kansas, they year they WENT to the BCS game under Mangino. The OLine players constantly praise him. And he doesnt have a job waiting for him.
domer

Postby ndtildeath » January 13th, 2012, 2:04 am

Didnt know that about his brother in compliance. Did know I only wonder if Kelly could have figured out how to keep both CMart and Warriner, but there are even reports/rumors that Kelly had no plans to go on with Warriner(which sound strange to me given his pre game comments at FSU).

What can you say other than I hope this dude from UT does half the job Warriner did. And that Chuck Martin handling the offense(where Kelly calls the plays) AND recruiting coordinator AND QB coach(???) all works out.

But from an outsiders view, doesnt it seem a bit ...like... jagged in places?
ndtildeath

Postby coachcft » January 13th, 2012, 2:23 am

I didnt know that either about his brother, but Im surprised I didnt mention the passing over for OC. I mean, its pretty obvious.

And AMEN to the hope of the new OLINE coach and Martin and the whole staff having good knowledge and chemistry all pulling in the same direction.
coachcft

Return to Notre Dame Football Discussion