Ron Darby about to make a forty year mistake

Talk of ND football

Ron Darby about to make a forty year mistake

Postby algoldendomer » January 10th, 2012, 7:50 pm

Ron Darby has decommitted from Notre Dame, and is considering a number of schools, all of which are considerably lesser academic institutions, with considerably lower grad rates. ND is about to have a lock-down defense and Darby is a key cog in that. He could very likely start as a freshman. I dearly hope he considers the entirety of his life - and the value a Notre Dame degree will have for him for the next 40 years.

I understand he wants a top-notch track program, but isn't track a solo sport when it comes right down to it? Can one not run very fast in South Bend?
algoldendomer

Re: Ron Darby about to make a forty year mistake

Postby coachcft » January 10th, 2012, 10:33 pm

@AGD

give a listen to the notredame.rivals.com PODCAST guys Pete Sampson and Tim Prister. I think you'll like it. I listen to them everyweek mainly to find out what is really going on on the ground in recruiting(and now a little bit with the coaching staff). Yes, you are correct in that ONE of the contributing factors to this is track. The natural defense to that is that Top 25 track programs usually have top 25 coaching. Who knows, maybe this kid has his eye on the Olimpics. Again, this was ONE reason. Pete Sampson has been saying for quite some time that he sensed from interviews and chats with Darby that he was looking for any reason to decommit. He hit it off with a couple FSU commits all week at practice coupled with a slightly sour chat with Cooks after the UA game and voila. And to add to it, while remaining generally optimistic which includes knowing that his parents are in favor of ND(as are Brian Poole's), he doesnt expect him back. And he seems to more more than ANYONE regarding the behind the scenes rumblings of coaching, players declaring for the draft and recruiting.

IMHO, Darby is a tremendous talent that would have had immediate impact capabilities similar to Tuitt, Lynch, Atkinson. Might have started end of year and would have been a lock to return punts, maybe joined GAIII on kick return.

ND is a 40 year place like you say, and quite possibly he isnt 'feelin' it. Its a tough thing(not that I'd know) to be a top football recruit. I dont blame him at all for taking more time or leaving permanently if he does so. Bumme for the team, but he'll be fine wherever he lands.

"If you want it set it free.... if it comes back, its yours. If not, it never was"
Prestwood, Carlisle, maybe Darby...maybe not
coachcft

Re: Ron Darby about to make a forty year mistake

Postby ndtildeath » January 11th, 2012, 12:57 am

Yeah, I love those guys on the podcast. Sampson is always right and he's hilarious. Darby is a tough loss because he's so good. And yeah, if he comes back, it was meant to be. If not, he was never ours to begin with.
ndtildeath

Return to Notre Dame Football Discussion