Next Year's Lineup

Talk of ND football

Next Year's Lineup

Postby goldendomer123 » January 4th, 2012, 1:22 am

-Keep in mind this has no recruits on here, but I really cant see a freshmen making a huge impact.

QB- Who Knows, B.K. really messed this whole thing up, the quarterbacks dont want to take any risks for fear of getting pulled and embarrassed like Kelly did to Crist.
RB: Cierre Wood, George Atkinson III--> I think this is our most solid position on offense, while we do lack a change-up back like Jonas Gray, I feel wood could have a big year and I really liked what I saw from Atkinson on special teams. A strong offense line helps this too, and with question marks at QB, I'm hoping Kelly isn't too stupid not to run the ball more.
WR: Theo Riddick, Robby Toma, and T.J. Jones. Riddick will return to WR, and is a threat to beat the defense deep. I really like Toma, I think he can be a good WR, but the loss of Floyd is obviously a major loss and with a question mark at quarterback, this could be a big problem for the Irish. T.J. Jones needs to step his game up big time, he has underachieved thus far. Look for Luke Massa(So) to work his way into the lineup. He is big and potentially could be a dangerous weapon in the red zone, where we seem to struggle the most.
TE: Ben Koyack: I am going to assume that Eifert doesn't come back. He is not in a situation like Barkely is or Luck was last year, where by coming back you have a legitimate shot at a National Championship. Notre Dame has produced some great tight ends lately that have had success in the NFL (Fasano and Rudolph), and I expected Eifert to be no different.
T: Zack Martin: a returning starter who along with Chris Watt will serve as the leaders on this offensive line. SOLID.
T: Christian Lombard: similar height/weight to Dever, was a 4 star prospect coming out of H.S., should be a good player with a bright future.
G: Chris Watt: another returning starter who is a good blocker.
G: Conor Hanratty: a bit of a question mark, he was 3 star prospect out of HS, but he is young and strong. If he can learn from Watt this year, he could be a big part of our line in the future.
C: Bruce Heggie: perhaps the second biggest question mark on offense besides the quarterback position, we lose two seniors centers. Heggie will have to step his game up big time.

DE: Aaron Lynch: saw a lot of great things from him this season, he will become even better in the off season. I would love to see him put on some weight in the off season and work on his run support.
DE: Stephon Tuitt: a great player who is only going to get better.
NT: Louis Nix: Cwynar and him will split a lot of time but Nix has been working hard this season and I think this attitude will continue into next season.
LB: Prince Shembo/Ishaq Williams: Williams should develop more in the off season and I thought Shembo had a pretty good year.
LB: Manti Teo: he is a monster, glad to have him back.
LB: Carlo Calabrese: he is a good tackler and great in run support and pass rushing situations, but he needs to improve his coverage skills.
LB: Dan Fox: another leader on this deference that should continue to produce.
----THE FRONT 7 IS VERY SOLID IN MY OPINION, ONE OF THE FEW THINGS I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT YEAR-------
CB: Bennett Jackson: I think we are very weak at corner this season and think this is one of the spots that could be up for grabs by a recruit
CB: Lo Wood: I saw some great things from this year and some really awful things, again CB is a huge question mark in my opinion. I could almost see the starters being Jalen Brown and Josh Atkinson by the end of the season if these two guys don't step up their game.
S: Zeke Motta: I like Motta a lot and I think he will need to have a big year to make up for our lack of talent in the secondary.
S: Austin Collinsworth: Great on special teams, don't know how good he will be in a full time role.

ALL IN ALL: Our secondary, with the exception of Motta is a huge question mark, the QB carousel isn't going to do us any favors either. Our running game is great in terms of speed, but we are missing the Jonas Gray kind of running back. but BK runs the same 3 or 4 running plays. Our Oline isn't going to be as good as it was last, making it even more difficult to run the ball in a system where we haven't been successful in running the ball in the past.

MY PREDICTION: 8-4, another okay year, but its a little better because the schedule is tougher. Losses to Michigan State, Michigan, Oklahoma, and USC. Wouldn't be shocked it Miami gets their act together and beats us at Solider Field, or if we get a surprise from Stanford or Wake Forest.
goldendomer123

Re: Next Year's Lineup

Postby coachcft » January 4th, 2012, 3:14 am

Hey Bud, with all due respect, you're off on about 1/2 dozen guys.

1) Center will be Braxton Cave
2) Riddick is staying at RB, everyone INCLUDING Kelly has said so
Which means either Daniels, Smith or Greenbury to start at WR
3) RG will not be Hanratty, it will be either Nick Martin or Hegarty with talk of Lombard if Jordan Prestwood starts at RT(not sure where you pulled this one out of)
4) Gutsy call to leave KLMoore out of the starting lineup(5 yr Sr, starter this year). Yes, Tuitt/Lynch/Moore have 2 seats in musical chairs b/w them
5) Calabrese and Fox play the SAME POSITION. Fox is prob 80% to start, or more.
6) And in your secondary, you left out arguably our best defender, Jamoris Slaughter who is undecided as to where he'll play, but he's as secure in a starting role as Teo
coachcft

Postby goldendomer123 » January 4th, 2012, 4:22 am

coachcft wrote:Hey Bud, with all due respect, you're off on about 1/2 dozen guys.

1) Center will be Braxton Cave
2) Riddick is staying at RB, everyone INCLUDING Kelly has said so
Which means either Daniels, Smith or Greenbury to start at WR
3) RG will not be Hanratty, it will be either Nick Martin or Hegarty with talk of Lombard if Jordan Prestwood starts at RT(not sure where you pulled this one out of)
4) Gutsy call to leave KLMoore out of the starting lineup(5 yr Sr, starter this year). Yes, Tuitt/Lynch/Moore have 2 seats in musical chairs b/w them
5) Calabrese and Fox play the SAME POSITION. Fox is prob 80% to start, or more.
6) And in your secondary, you left out arguably our best defender, Jamoris Slaughter who is undecided as to where he'll play, but he's as secure in a starting role as Teo

I thank you for respectfully disagreeing, I guess I should have done some more digging. I looked at a lot of those guys that were seniors and forget that some of them had eligibility left and just went down the depth chart. I apologize for that and I thank you for correcting my mistake. (1) (3) (4) (6)

2) I hate riddick as a RB, I think he will end up being used all over the field, so you are correct in that, my mistake, I must have missed that.
5) Both are ILB, but they split playing time so I made them seperate, since they both make big plays, should have made that clear, my bad once again.

Thank you for correcting me.
goldendomer123

Postby algoldendomer » January 4th, 2012, 2:54 pm

I disagree on the premise that the freshmen will not have an immediate impact. I put forth last year's class as exhibit number 1. Aaron Lynch has been a monster from the first series of the Blue-Gold game. Some frosh whom I expect to make an immediate contribution are 5-stars Greenberry (WR), Ronald Darby and Tee Shepard (CB) and Shaq Thompson (if he comes on board) at safety.

I am foolish enough to believe that humbler, smarter Brian Kelly and superstar Everett Golson could lead ND to a National Championship in 2012. After watching Michigan win again last evening, I'm excited about Golson, who can run like Denard but will throw a whole lot better.
algoldendomer

Return to Notre Dame Football Discussion