poll - Is ND better off Jan 1 2012 vs Jan 1 2010?

Talk of ND football

poll - Is ND better off Jan 1 2012 vs Jan 1 2010?

Postby ksirish81 » January 1st, 2012, 9:53 pm

my opinion - no. regression of the offense side of the ball - primarily due to QB and game management by head coach.
ksirish81

Re: poll - Is ND better off Jan 1 2012 vs Jan 1 2010?

Postby coach_kelly » January 1st, 2012, 10:08 pm

http://www.cfbstats.com/2011/team/513/t ... split.html

That's this year.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2009/team/513/t ... split.html

That's the last year under Weis.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2010/team/513/t ... split.html

What is interesting for this discussion is that year. That's the first year under Kelly. What those numbers say are that Weis put out more yards, had a higher average per play, but struggled to run the ball. It also shows that Kelly has improved the offense this year.

Want to see the defense?

Weis - http://www.cfbstats.com/2009/team/513/t ... split.html

Kelly - http://www.cfbstats.com/2011/team/513/t ... split.html

A huge improvement. We're getting better statistically, but nobody acknowledges that. We just want to shed tears and whine about a coach who is improving Notre Dame.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Postby coachcft » January 1st, 2012, 11:01 pm

Interesting original post Bud. Now that you are asking, I'll weigh in.

If you are to break it up, we are better defensively. Diaco has done an excellent job. He still needs help with the dual threat/spread sets. Although one can argue that the job vs Manuel and FSU was a solid start to adjusting. We can be certain that the academies will be "gimme" games because of him. The defense enjoys playing for him. To me, the defense seems like a different program.

Offensively, obviously we are worse than where we were. While the Line is solid, the other 6 are worse. Disorganized, scared to make a mistake and get a visit from a post game PC bus compliments of Kelly. Rees seems fed up. The negativity and coud of skepticism has grown around the skill players of the program. The best we can hope for is that they ignore it and enjoy the distance from Kelly these months and tune him out.

Special teams. Im not of the opinion that they are atrocious. They were slightly below average when you include everything. But an interesting point of note I thought of these last couple days. Its actually a question: Other than the end of USF(when you have to), have we attempted a suprise Onsides kick, fake FG, fake punt?? I actually dont think we have. If we havent, its a slight telling sign IMO. Coach is scared and "holding on to what he has".

Recruiting. About a dead even tie. Weis had solid Junior and Senior Classes(#9 and #3 nationally). Our current sophmores were low(not top 20 after the death of Matt James) which by conservative measurements you cant fully put on Kelly, he is at best only "half" responsible(but good gracious, does anyone see what Jim Mora has done in 2 weeks on the job at UCLA? Dude has hit the ground running, showing you can recruit a class in 2 months). This is why this year was a failure. We had great classes as veterans. With last year's excellent class and SO FAR a good class-not great as many recruits have cooled- the STAFF(not Kelly only) has worked their butt off despite shortcomings on the field.

Facilities - I think it is good that we have added certain gameday additions like piping in music. But this is a category that doesnt necessarily reflect "progress". Field turf or Jumbotron(both are coming inevitably) dont reflect progress on the field. Just b/c Kelly wants them, and we'll probably get them doesnt make it progress. So, in fairness, its a nonevent.

Mood of the program - To me, this is probably the most important category. "Its not where you've been, its about where you are going." I think that was VEnus Williams quoting her Dad, but its true ya know? And I think its fair that so many of us are left with at best, uncertainty. At worst, negativity. Questions surrounding the QB position, recruits cooling, midwest football chat dominated by Hoke and Meyer, Barkley and SC weathering the probationary storm, Crist to KU, is Eifert leaving or staying, will Kelly figure out how to move the ball or will he load up on a fresh set of excuses. The mood could definitely be worse, but it is NOT good. Yet, if compared to the days prior to Weis' firing, this regime has an ever so slight edge. Yet, trending down.

FInal grade. Slightly, ever so slightly worse than days prior to the hire 2 years ago. But that could change by Feb 3rd. We'll know the answer. Decommits, 1 of the 3 QBs transfers, Eifert leaving or other things could make it worse. Quality late signings, QBs all staying and comments leading toward open competition this Spring and Eifert staying will put us in slightly better shape than how Kelly found us.
coachcft

Postby ksirish81 » January 2nd, 2012, 2:15 am

agree. but if we need to focus on a recruiting date to secure an "up" arrow that is not a positive momentum to the program when personnel was very good and with depth. The D was great this year, i agree; but our offense was mostly boring and uninspired. Recruiting should add to the program and fill in for depth - not be the indicator of program progress.
ksirish81

Postby coachcft » January 2nd, 2012, 4:51 am

I dont disagree with the sentiment you are saying regarding the "up arrow". Yet, it is as least one of the measuring sticks of how things are going. EVERY talking head says that it is 0% chance we land Williams, Lynch, or Tuitt last year without finishing 4-0. Probably snuck Troy Niklas in there too b/c of it. When we lost by 14 to USC this year, we didnt just lose a game. We lost an "all in" bet. Around 25-30 top notch recruits in town that weekend. Win that game and we are "done" recruiting by now and probably with Arik Armstead, Shaq Thompson, Byron Marshall, Brian Poole, etc etc... Instead, there is a sense of us "holding on to what we have". We're worried about what Shepard 'pulls out of that hat' on Jan 3rd. Is Ronald Darby going to flip to Maryland? Is Greenbury going to be convinced by JIm Mora Jr at UCLA? (JM Jr is TEARING it up on the recruiting trail since his arrival just 2 weeks ago, it is VERY worrisome). Simply put, recruits smell mood/direction. They dont like it, they dont sign. Therefore, recruiting = mood/direction. And this is an indicator of where we are. Keep an eye on recruiting these weeks if you can. There are alot of top kids in the final stages who had ND higher on their lists and are still hanging around, but we seem to be on the outside looking in on many of them. But cross your fingers for Nelson Agholor, Arik Armstead, Elijah Shumate, Brian Poole, Josh Garnett, Kent Taylor, and Armani Reeves.

As for your offense remarks, TOTALLY agree. I mean, how nice would it be to have either a CONFIDENT Golson/Hendricks to run zone read, option, QB draw, BOOTLEG(not 1 all year,literally). The RB counter is the only counter/misdirection we run. I dont think even Kelly is stupid enough to ignore the fanbase and their venom they have for Rees now. Couple that with the fact that he has to build up the QBs mentally instead of pointing out all their PHYSICAL mistakes. This hopefully would spell out the pot spring ball depth chart of: 1) Golson/Hendricks 2) Golson/Hendricks 3) Rees
coachcft

Postby ksirish81 » January 2nd, 2012, 8:20 pm

thanks. my point is that our offense coaching staff failed for the past two years to adapt the scheme to the players and manage the game properly. You simply can not blame the complete focus on "not my players" (which will DOG BK for his coaching career) and their abilities when CW had great recruiting classes. Simply, what people thought was a continuation of the great offense failed under BK; but Diaco did a wonderful job with the D that CW failed to produce consistency.

from reading the other blogs, it appears that people are getting pretty nervous in South Bend and if we need to make these recruits our "best"class - the reality of 18 year old kids is that only some pan out to meet the expectations. regardless, a coach needs to mold their talents to the a program and also a coach needs to mold his talents to the kids so everyone can play as one -to eventually change the program to "what Kelly wants". Well, IMO if he does not get to 10 wins in 2012 - he will leave.

Just my opinion. That will be hard since this years did not build onto a first year on offense; it regressed and "we all expected" that to be a strong suit of the program in 2012. Honestly, i think the O kids quit on him formulitple reasons - foremost reasons being confusion, lack of preparation, and public humiliation after every series.
ksirish81

Postby coachcft » January 3rd, 2012, 2:49 am

Alot of points there. Naturally I agree with your last paragraph as I stated it earlier, but if you mean that Kelly will step down next year if they finish with 9 wins, dont hold your breath, never gonna happen. And in fairness, if they get 8 or 9 wins but some are signature against quality opponents and the losses are tough but close ones(like a Michigan this year), I might be OK with that and give him an endorsement to 2013, a year that CERTAINLY points to 11-13 wins and let that prove his mettle.

But listen, I have predicted this starting midway through last season, I think before Tulsa I believe. Kelly will have a ho-hum 5 years. His highlight will be the 4th year(2013). He will finish as a .650 -.690 coach(currently .615). People will dry on his personality and that comment that I agree, WILL dog him for years as well as the "Im not worried, HE should be worried" remark about whether or not he was concerned about Dayne Crist's confidence or mental state following the fumble vs. USC.

For the record, I remain hopeful about ND and very much sending good vibes that we recruit well so that he doesnt leave an empty cupboard.
coachcft

Return to Notre Dame Football Discussion