24 hours later - some thoughts

Talk of ND football

24 hours later - some thoughts

Postby ksirish81 » December 31st, 2011, 4:44 am

After calming down some, only some, i had time to reflect on the season and have some thoughts.

As an alum, ND football and sports is personal to me. there have been some great comments on this and other boards. while i am not a BK fan, i honestly believe that he has similarities to Tyrone Willingham with his coaches. Here are some thoughts.

1. BK and his coaches are over their heads. Way over their heads in meeting the expectations of the program. They have not been exposed to this level of performance and it shows with their play calling and actions on the sideline.

2. Like TW, BK has no halftime adjustments in his game. The first half plays are exactly like the second half - predictable.

3. BK has some love affair with Tommy Rees which i do not get. He compliments him on his quick release (no way) but he says he has a weak arm and no speed. Well, why is he the starting QB. He might have a quick release, i just wish that he threw it to our receivers and not interceptions. In fact Crist or Hendrix has a much stronger arm than Rees, but there is something that BK had against Crist to toss him so quickly in the South Florida game.

4. Our offense quit on BK early in the year. I attendd 3 games this year and watch on TV all the games. While there were some times of excitement, mostly they were boring. The O failed to keep the momemtum and simply waited for something bad to happen. Fumble or interceptions were a plenty. I suspect that if players said things to media, BK yelling at everyone on every play is his lack of preparation and growth.

5. Coaching is poorly developing the team. When BK arrived he promissed that the team would respond the grow with training and preparation. When in fact, our team looks unprepared for each and every game. They need to rehurse and prep during the week but it appears that our guys have little clue on what everyone is supposed to do on a group of plays. They can put 1-2 plays together but inconsistency shows with lack of preparation. BK needs to manage the game as compared to "coaching" on game day. Repetition on the pracctice field eliminates coaching on game day - it becomes second nature and timing is perfect.

6. BK has had the best players at ND in 10 years. TW and BD had no ability to recuit a great class of players. CW brought back recruiting to the level of expectations required, but his coaching and game management on D lacked focus. Howeever, BK has not had the abilty to grow the players eventhough they have been in the program for 3-4 years with great talent.

7. I am concerned with the program growth. Next year scheudle is tough and we have multiple issues to deal address (coaching, preparation, QB, and secondary). We had some injuries this year, but at least we had depth to adsorb those injuries. In previous years we had no depth. Unfortunately, BK chose to select a QB that can not pass over 15 yards consistently with zip and accuracy. So the opponent D can play up and not allow running.

8. Floyd and Eifert were used less than required. Perhaps that was because Rees could not pass well enough, but he has a quick release, to get him the ball. Floyd kept ND in the game on the Touchdown last night when he took the ball away when it should have been intercepted since it was underthrown. The offense was planned to be pass first and then run second. Also, what ever happend to the hurry up offense that worked so well in 2010?

i can only hope that the BK will review the program direction and get the players behind him. His post game statements of the players are givng their all, blah blah blah are completely empty. Anyone that says that every game knows that his players quit on him for what ever reason. i beleive that it is because he said these are not his players (pretty poor for any manager to say his employees) - you work with the talent there and then develop a play program around their strengths. This is just one of the many isssues i think that BK has lacked focus and caused many loyal hearts to ache this year. Live will get better, but we are not better this year vs last year or the year before - progress is not being made forward. I honestly believe that we have regressed on offense and relied on the defense all year to keep our scores close. Realistically we should have been 12-0 but boring offensive games caused the losses.

go irish.
ksirish81

Re: 24 hours later - some thoughts

Postby coach_kelly » December 31st, 2011, 7:39 am

It's too bad that while you were attending The University of Notre Dame, that you did not take advantage of their many classes on grammar and literacy. Your punctuation and sentence structure leave a lot to be desired. I guess maybe it was your phone that did this? I think someone with core high school competency skills could write a tad better than you.

What lame excuse will you reply with for having such poor communication skills? I can hardly wait!
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Re: 24 hours later - some thoughts

Postby coach_kelly » December 31st, 2011, 8:34 pm

Let's wade through this mire of pedestrian analysis and shed some light on the subject, shall we?

ksirish81 wrote:1. BK and his coaches are over their heads. Way over their heads in meeting the expectations of the program. They have not been exposed to this level of performance and it shows with their play calling and actions on the sideline.

If by winning everywhere he has gone disqualifies him for this job, then by all means, we should run him out of town. 187-66-2 is his record as a head coach. If he can get Central Michigan (Central Michigan for the love of Pete!) to a bowl game in only 3 seasons, can get Cincinnati to a BCS bowl 2 seasons in a row, then Notre Dame's return to glory under his watch are well within his reach. He makes the unthinkable happen. Just wait and see.

ksirish81 wrote:2. Like TW, BK has no halftime adjustments in his game. The first half plays are exactly like the second half - predictable.

I really enjoyed your breakdown of passing to running plays, shotgun and under center plays, your keen insight as to why you feel this way, other than after your 12th Natty Light the plays all look the same?

ksirish81 wrote:3. BK has some love affair with Tommy Rees which i do not get. He compliments him on his quick release (no way) but he says he has a weak arm and no speed. Well, why is he the starting QB. He might have a quick release, i just wish that he threw it to our receivers and not interceptions. In fact Crist or Hendrix has a much stronger arm than Rees, but there is something that BK had against Crist to toss him so quickly in the South Florida game.

12-4 as a starter? Yeah, that might explain it. Dayne Crist has a losing record as a starter, 4-6. I don't know about you, but I know who I'm starting.

ksirish81 wrote:4. Our offense quit on BK early in the year. I attendd 3 games this year and watch on TV all the games. While there were some times of excitement, mostly they were boring. The O failed to keep the momemtum and simply waited for something bad to happen. Fumble or interceptions were a plenty. I suspect that if players said things to media, BK yelling at everyone on every play is his lack of preparation and growth.

I'm not sure if your opinion of how you feel is a valid criticism of an FBS coach.

ksirish81 wrote:5. Coaching is poorly developing the team. When BK arrived he promissed that the team would respond the grow with training and preparation. When in fact, our team looks unprepared for each and every game. They need to rehurse and prep during the week but it appears that our guys have little clue on what everyone is supposed to do on a group of plays. They can put 1-2 plays together but inconsistency shows with lack of preparation. BK needs to manage the game as compared to "coaching" on game day. Repetition on the pracctice field eliminates coaching on game day - it becomes second nature and timing is perfect.

That comes with time. Something the folks around here don't want to give him. Breaking old habits is not easy.

ksirish81 wrote:6. BK has had the best players at ND in 10 years. TW and BD had no ability to recuit a great class of players. CW brought back recruiting to the level of expectations required, but his coaching and game management on D lacked focus. Howeever, BK has not had the abilty to grow the players eventhough they have been in the program for 3-4 years with great talent.

Ty Willingham had the best players in recent history. Charlie Weis went 10-3 and 9-3 with those players. Weis went 3-9 his 3rd year. That is pretty telling and completely contradicts your opinion. With his players, Weis was bad. With Weis players, Kelly is winning.

ksirish81 wrote:7. I am concerned with the program growth. Next year scheudle is tough and we have multiple issues to deal address (coaching, preparation, QB, and secondary). We had some injuries this year, but at least we had depth to adsorb those injuries. In previous years we had no depth. Unfortunately, BK chose to select a QB that can not pass over 15 yards consistently with zip and accuracy. So the opponent D can play up and not allow running.

You mean depth like having to play a wide receiver as a running back? Recruiting takes care of this and that takes time.

ksirish81 wrote:8. Floyd and Eifert were used less than required. Perhaps that was because Rees could not pass well enough, but he has a quick release, to get him the ball. Floyd kept ND in the game on the Touchdown last night when he took the ball away when it should have been intercepted since it was underthrown. The offense was planned to be pass first and then run second. Also, what ever happend to the hurry up offense that worked so well in 2010?

You are one of the only people I know that has claimed that Floyd and Eifert were used so little. The majority of the complaints have been that there is nothing else to the offense besides those two playmakers. Once again, this is where recruiting will fill in the gaps. Check out the recruiting article on the RB we just pulled from Washington a few spots down from this one (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81). Guy is going to be hard to contain.

ksirish81 wrote:i can only hope that the BK will review the program direction and get the players behind him. His post game statements of the players are givng their all, blah blah blah are completely empty. Anyone that says that every game knows that his players quit on him for what ever reason. i beleive that it is because he said these are not his players (pretty poor for any manager to say his employees) - you work with the talent there and then develop a play program around their strengths. This is just one of the many isssues i think that BK has lacked focus and caused many loyal hearts to ache this year. Live will get better, but we are not better this year vs last year or the year before - progress is not being made forward. I honestly believe that we have regressed on offense and relied on the defense all year to keep our scores close. Realistically we should have been 12-0 but boring offensive games caused the losses.

go irish.

"Coach Speak" will always be just that. These guys don't give the press anything, and if they do then they live to regret it. Also, I'm pretty sure that most of the words in this paragraph (term used loosely) aren't really sentences in the grammatical spirit. They are more like thoughts to letters - without the boundaries that normal people contain within a readable structure; also known as sentences.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Return to Notre Dame Football Discussion