What we should see come next season

Talk of ND football

What we should see come next season

Postby notredame1988 » December 30th, 2011, 10:13 pm

1. After another "open quarterback competition" wheather it is Rees, Hendrix, or Golson, stick with him at least for a few weeks (not half of a game again).
2. Some recovery in our secondary. I know right now our defense is our strength, but were losing a lot of veterans in the secondary and no one wants another embarassment like in the Michigan game.
3. Some patience from Kelly. Everyone knows it's frustrating when quarterbacks make stupid mistakes, but screaming your face off at the qb when he comes off the field is not going to fix it, what will fix it is going over the incorrect read he made or whatever it is that he did. I'm not saying not to yell when it's needed, but getting purple in the face after every series is unneccessary.
4. TJ Jones HAS to step up. Not having Floyd will leave a hole in our receiving core. Were going to need TJ, or someone else, to step up and be the-go-to guy in the red zone and in general.
5. I have never seen a team take so many fair catches on punt returns. I'm not sure if it is our return team's blocking or their punter is good or our returners just need to grow a pair, but we need to begin getting some yards off of punts so we don't start every drive on our own 20. Maybe he doesn't have the hands for it but put Atkinson back there he is the best kick returner we've had in years.
6. I don't know if it's just me but in the bowl game, and other games, we have looked unprepared. You always see our team go out and drive down the field on the opening drive, and continues to have a decent amount of success in most of the games. But after half time the other team would make adjustments that we could not handle. Shouldn't we be able to make these critical adjustments as well?
7. Part of me feels like there is still some resentment amoung the team from Kelly's comments awhile back about the upper classmen whom he did not recruit. In the bowl game, other than Zeke Motta's fumble return for a touchdown, I did not see much excitment from our players. A lot of the time it looked like they just weren't inspired. Maybe this has to do with Kelly's comments or maybe it's just me, but if this is true this must be sorted out.
8. Lastly, we better win 8 games at least, we should be getting more but im being realistic, we have a tougher schedule next year that includes playing on the road at Oklahoma, USC, Michigan, and an improving Boston College team who for horrible reasons gave us a game this year. If we don't win 8 Kelly's gonna have a tough time keeping his job.
notredame1988

Re: What we should see come next season

Postby coachcft » December 31st, 2011, 12:34 am

If we dont win 8 games, Kelly will not be asked to leave. What will happen is that another year will go by that he doesnt receive an extension on his contract. Most successful 5 year coaches are given extensions after their 2nd year(to help with making recruits feel better). Jimbo Fisher(FSU) was one for example. Kelly will enter his 4th year with 2 years remaining on his contract. This will make ND a tougher sell for recruits. You will still get the kids that love ND and would be coming if you and I were wearing headsets on the sideline. But you wont get the kids that need convincing that we have a chance to truly compete for a championship. Which is why this year(2011) was a big year to have let "slip away". Making it near certain to bring in his worst class in Feb 2013.(similar to say our current sophomores). Our only saving grace is that a ton of the top talent in that class is located in the Midwest oddly enough. Yet competing with UM and OSU will be difficult.

Year 4 we have a PATSY schedule, most of it at home. 10 games is a CINCH that year. The mania will start again. I PRAY that ND doesnt succumb and offer an extension. Let him finish his 5th year and see how he does.

We must face fact: he is learning the reindeer games as he goes. Dont fire him for now, but DO NOT give him an extension whatsoever.
coachcft

Postby goirish2012 » December 31st, 2011, 1:22 am

The players are there. Notre Dame needs a playcaller. Kelly let FSU of the hook. FSU didn't have to do anything on defense. They had the corners play loose because they saw Notre Dame hit nothing quick (Hitch or Slant) on first or second down. All deep routes except for on 3rd and long. No threat of a short pass on early downs. It aloud FSU corners to play loose and the D-Line and LB's could play run first with no threat of anything quick to react too....

Kelly got outcoached...AGAIN!!!
goirish2012

Postby coachcft » December 31st, 2011, 1:55 am

Agreed, but I actually think the short passing game on 1st down wasnt an ineffective as 2 things left uncalled: 1) they were successfully running wide. They were getting outside their stud DEnds and using Golic where he can be effective: pulling. And we went away from that. I dont know why. 2) The SCREEN game(which should fit better in your "short passing game" note. FSU was sending added pressure on 2nd down or after we were penalized. A dump screen would have slowed down that pressure, not to mention quite possibly picked up good yardage.

Outcoached? Yes. Even though he was more outcoached vs Pitt, BC, and USC
coachcft

Postby coach_kelly » December 31st, 2011, 7:36 am

Armchair QB's are the best. Why don't you experts go apply for a coaching position at your local YMCA? Oh that's right, because your opinions aren't valid. You just repeat what you hear on TV.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Postby algoldendomer » January 1st, 2012, 12:47 pm

Great comeback, idiot.

Honest question - are you pleased with the performance of Brian Kelly, either Thursday night, or this season, or since he was hired?

Do you give a shit about Notre Dame, or are you just a Brian Kelly fan / relative / spouse / offspring / BK himself? If Brian Kelly got run over by a truck today, are you still an ND fan?

16-10 sucks. As bad as Weis was, he was a whole lot better than that after two years. And who's to say that Kelly doesn't have a 3-win season in him too?
algoldendomer

Postby coachcft » January 1st, 2012, 5:40 pm

Listen, AGD, you have some good input. But unless you are either defending yourself or challenging him to put up or shutup, stop placating this dude. Its not worth it.

Irish1988, check out the podcast from Irish Illustrated Insider, I listened to it last night. I didnt realize the local press is starting to turn their guns on Kelly as such. And if we somehow let Greenbury, Shepard or Darby slip away, look no further than Kelly.
coachcft

Postby coach_kelly » January 1st, 2012, 8:57 pm

In our daily life, we encounter people who are angry, deceitful, intent only on satisfying their own needs. There is so much anger, distrust, greed, and pettiness that we are losing our capacity to work well together.

Margaret J Wheatley

In all seriousness what will likely happen at Notre Dame is that we will endure another season with less than 10 wins. Assholes like those present on this board will scream for Brian Kelly's head, the administration will cave, and the world will watch us eat another coach alive and will rightfully brand us as the most toxic program in all of sports.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Return to Notre Dame Football Discussion