Questioning Character? Wrong.

Talk of ND football

Questioning Character? Wrong.

Postby coach_kelly » November 2nd, 2011, 12:02 pm

It is almost comical that character can be used like a self righteous club when things aren't going your way. Beating your opponents over the head with the character club leaves them with no defense. It would be better served to just say that you don't like the person, but in the effort to make your extremist point of view, it must be character. That has to be it. The trouble with this as it applies to sports, is that some of the biggest jerks have been the most successful. Don't believe me? Let's run down the list -

Jim Brown was a great running back and a beater of women.
Don King is a name synonymous with boxing and winning - and being an ass.
Wilt Chamberlain - did he score more points or have more sex with different women? I can never remember.
George Steinbrenner is the quintessential ass. His picture is in the dictionary next to the word.
Dale Earnhardt Sr. was good at winning and being a dick.
Bobby Knight could coach as well as he could hurl objects across the court.
Ty Cobb set the standard for being a douche.
Michael Jordan has been an even bigger ass in retirement than anyone could have imagined. Only surpassing his in game douche-baggery by a slight margin.

That list of names is impressive by anyone's standard. If winning is your goal, then that is the list for you. Great at their sports and some of the shittiest characters you could hope to meet in life. I know, I know. This is about Notre Dame and their coach. Should we go there? I think so. Is that cries about the great Lou Holtz?

Lou Holtz was the last coach to bring a National Championship to Notre Dame. He also was followed by scandal and violations everywhere he went. Minnesota, Notre Dame, and South Carolina all got probation as a result of his coaching character. How quickly we forget that Notre Dame got 2 years as a result of his great character.

When you are winning a war almost everything that happens can be claimed to be right and wise.

~ Winston Churchill

Brian Kelly was overlooked for quite a few head coaching jobs because of his character. He landed the Notre Dame job. People who knew him knew that he is an ass. At Grand Valley State he had to have security restrain him from his own fans. Michigan gave him a quick glance over but passed on him because he's too hot-headed. Notre Dame didn't pick this dude because he is a grower of pretty flowers. They picked him because he can coach and recruit. Getting rid of him for his character would be a bullshit reason because you knew what you were getting with this guy. He's a dick. Once he gets his players installed and the Weis recruits are gone, you will see why Notre Dame hired this guy. He is going to bring a National Championship to South Bend. He just isn't going to do it with half ass talent that Weis recruited. Is that a dickhead thing to say about your team? Yup. Expect anything more from Brian Kelly and you are a fool.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Re: Questioning Character? Wrong.

Postby algoldendomer » November 2nd, 2011, 3:53 pm

Your rambling post is incoherent.

You claim on one hand that we don't want to touch the "successful" folks with bad character, and then you go on to besmirch your own character (I assume you ARE the real Coach_Kelly) because ND hired you to WIN.

Excuse me for wanting BOTH. A Notre Dame coach ought to be a man of character, and he ought to be successful (Wins and losses). Believe it or not, they are not mutually exclusive. In fact, I would posit that the person of great character will be much more successful in the long run than the person lacking in same. This is true in business, and it's true in sports. A man goes much farther if people can trust him, if he is consistent. To effectively lead, you need to inspire, not just instill fear.

As an example - take Jeff Jackson. Here is a guy who keeps his emotions under control at all times. He is a guy whom his players seem to love. They will go out and skate through a wall for the guy. He's tough, and he's demanding, but he is also fair. He's obviously a man of character and Notre Dame is damn lucky to have him. And he turned around a simply awful Irish hockey program, a program that had never won ANYTHING, playing in the worst facility in the nation, in two years. TWO YEARS! Two years from worst to practically first. Now that he has the best facility in the nation, look out!

The football program, bad as Charlie Weis was, was not in the shambles that the hockey program was. ND has facilities at least as the good as the best programs in the nation. ND has a coast-to-coast fan base that virtually guarantees national television exposure every week. ND offers a top-notch education, and among D1 colleges, only Stanford and Duke can honestly offer a better degree (and that is subject to debate). Has Brian Kelly turned it around, despite all these advantages? The jury is out. Is Brian Kelly a guy of great character? His behavior this year on the sidelines, and his public remarks last week, raise some doubts.

I want BOTH - character and wins. It is yet unclear whether we will get either.
algoldendomer

Postby coach_kelly » November 2nd, 2011, 9:49 pm

The point is (because you missed it hidden in all those words) is that you don't need it to win.

Hiring Brian Kelly wasn't because he makes good happy rainbow cookies. It's because he recruits and he wins. The shitty Charlie Weis leftover players don't win. They never have. Teo going to the NFL? Good. His feeling were hurt? Too bad. Grow up you big baby. This team is about winning and the sooner we get rid of The Weis Wussies we will be better off. Teo has always been overrated.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Postby algoldendomer » November 2nd, 2011, 11:48 pm

You are not a Notre Dame man. No Notre Dame man speaks of other ND men in that fashion.

Now you're just being a dick.

If Kelly has to be a dick in order to win, I would submit that NOT being a dick will be even more successful. It IS a question of character.
algoldendomer

Postby coach_kelly » November 3rd, 2011, 12:27 am

Lou Holtz is a dick. Get off your high horse chief.

Winning is what Brian Kelly does and whining is what you do. Even though you aren't worthy of his success, I'm sure he will let you enjoy it. Just don't let him know how much of a puss you have been lately. He might donkey punch your neck.
coach_kelly

Postby coach_kelly » December 30th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Time for Brian Kelly donkey punch to whiners.
coach_kelly

Postby notredame1988 » January 2nd, 2012, 5:55 pm

Coach_kelly obviously you have some strong feelings about Charlie Weis, but these "shitty" players he left us with?
How about Michael Floyd who owns close to every receiving record in our record books.
How about Manti Te'o who could have been the #2 LB in the draft if he went out this year.
How about Cierre Wood and Jonas Gray, who for a while, gave us a very good two RB system.
Or how about Tyler Eifert, who I still beleive was under-used early in the season, who did break our TE records for single-season receptions and receiving yards.
That's not mentioning the likes of Kyle Rudolf, Armando Allen, Theo Riddick, Harrison Smith, Prince Shembo, Ethan Johnson, Gary Gray, Robert Blanton, Jamoris Slaughter, and if you want to count Rees and Hendrix.
I'm not saying the Charlie was a good head coach, because he really wasn't. But Kelly had some great talent on the team when he came in.
notredame1988

Return to Notre Dame Football Discussion