Charlie Weis to Kansas

Talk of ND football

Charlie Weis to Kansas

Postby coach_kelly » December 9th, 2011, 6:23 pm

Kansas is used to mediocrity and this hire says they are comfortable with remaining mediocre. Whatever millions of dollars they spend on this lump of flesh will be that many millions too much.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Re: Charlie Weis to Kansas

Postby coach_kelly » December 9th, 2011, 6:30 pm

Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Postby coach_kelly » December 9th, 2011, 6:36 pm

coach_kelly

Postby coach_kelly » December 9th, 2011, 6:38 pm

coach_kelly

Postby coach_kelly » December 9th, 2011, 6:41 pm

coach_kelly

Postby algoldendomer » December 9th, 2011, 8:27 pm

OK OK you may be a moran, but all of these posts made me laugh out loud.

I am no Charlie Weis fan (and it's probably a sin for me to laugh at these - for I am called to love CW with Christian love). Let the record note that I was one of the first to call for Weis' termination. The NDN guys who banned me will testify to this.

I am not (contrary to your beliefs) at that point with Kelly, but he needs to show improvement
algoldendomer

Postby coach_kelly » December 9th, 2011, 8:37 pm

I am a loyalist with realistic intentions and a doofus. Now that we have that clear, Kelly is trending upward. I know that looking at a 16-9, 17-9, or 16-10 record is not impressive. I'm looking at the trends though. His tendencies as of late are much better than the overall picture. Kelly is the polar opposite of Weis.

Weis came into super talent from Willingham (a terrible coach). He took that talent and went 19-5 in his first two years. "All Hail Charlie!" and his rediculous contract was signed. Then the bottom fell out.

Kelly has taken a loser 0.500 team and turned the boat around. He started 4-5 and has since gone 12-4. He is trending up.

That's why we argue. Not because I think that 16-9 is great, but because I think that 12-4 is. One represents the start of building, the second represents the result of building.
coach_kelly

Postby algoldendomer » December 9th, 2011, 9:11 pm

I will grant you that ND trended up throughout Kelly's first year, aided with good wins over Utah (albeit with the Utes coming off a 40-point prison-raping by TCU, I believe, and due in large part to my presence at that game) and USC (absent Matt Barklay, it must be noted).

I will not grant that this uptrend has continued in 2011. Starting with two awful losses to a terrible USF team (zero points until well into the third quarter - what did Kelly DO in the off-season?) and Michigan (80 yards to go with 20 seconds left, and they left 7 seconds on the scoreboard!!), and only one noteworthy win (MSU - and I was there, so I'll take credit for that one). And another drubbing by Stanford - STANFORD! - the only team on the schedule with smarter players and smarter fans than we have!! The 2011 schedule was decidedly weaker than was the 2010 schedule. So the evidence does not support your 12-4 hypothesis. It supports the following: 8-5 > 6-6, but 8-4 = 8-5 (or possibly 8-4 < 8-5).

Sorry to defeat you so convincingly, but it had to be done.
algoldendomer

Postby coach_kelly » December 10th, 2011, 6:04 am

The only thing you did was repeat what you have said before. The sad thing with that is that I have refuted it many times over.
coach_kelly

Postby algoldendomer » December 10th, 2011, 2:43 pm

No, you have not.

You have parsed 2010 into two pieces - the 4-5 beginning and the 4-0 ending. As if the 4-5 were not Kelly's fault.

IF I grant you that the 4-0 is due to Kelly's magnificence, and the 4-5 is Weis' fault, then 2011 was most assuredly a step BACKWARDS from his magnificent 4-0 performance in 2010. You can't assert that 4-0 was his but somehow 8-4 was not.

The fact is that 2010 was, against anyone's expectations, a failure. The Irish are no better now than they were one year ago today. And a year ago they were on a mini-win streak, and today they are basking in the glow of just having gotten donkeypunched by Stanford. Oh, and relishing the glory of being invited to a 3rd-tier bowl game.
algoldendomer

Next

Return to Notre Dame Football Discussion