Popular Myths

Talk of ND football

Popular Myths

Postby coach_kelly » December 5th, 2011, 11:03 pm

I will debunk the common myths tossed about by this poorly informed forum.

Myth 1 Brian Kelly is a bad coach.

187-65-2 coaching record. 3-1 in bowl games. 11-4 in D-II playoffs. Brian Kelly & Notre Dame snapped an 8 game losing streak against USC. After starting 4-5 Kelly & Notre Dame have recorded a 12-4 record. A win over Florida State in this years Champs Sports Bowl will give him a 13-4 record since his slow start. That is pretty impressive given what he was left with.

Myth 2 Brian Kelly is a hothead and lacks character.

Brian Kelly is the most passionate coach that this program has seen since "Oh Holy Lou". He is putting the fire back into Notre Dame football and people want him to stop? People want him to be as complacent as Davie? As boring as Willingham? As snobbish and out of touch as Weis? I think we have the right guy fanning the flames. For years this program has been flat. Been without a leader. We are back. This man, this Brian Kelly will lead us to the promised land.

Brian Kelly may come off as a dick, but let me refresh your memory.

coach_kelly wrote:It is almost comical that character can be used like a self righteous club when things aren't going your way. Beating your opponents over the head with the character club leaves them with no defense. It would be better served to just say that you don't like the person, but in the effort to make your extremist point of view, it must be character. That has to be it. The trouble with this as it applies to sports, is that some of the biggest jerks have been the most successful. Don't believe me? Let's run down the list -

Jim Brown was a great running back and a beater of women.
Don King is a name synonymous with boxing and winning - and being an ass.
Wilt Chamberlain - did he score more points or have more sex with different women? I can never remember.
George Steinbrenner is the quintessential ass. His picture is in the dictionary next to the word.
Dale Earnhardt Sr. was good at winning and being a dick.
Bobby Knight could coach as well as he could hurl objects across the court.
Ty Cobb set the standard for being a douche.
Michael Jordan has been an even bigger ass in retirement than anyone could have imagined. Only surpassing his in game douche-baggery by a slight margin.

That list of names is impressive by anyone's standard. If winning is your goal, then that is the list for you. Great at their sports and some of the shittiest characters you could hope to meet in life. I know, I know. This is about Notre Dame and their coach. Should we go there? I think so. Is that cries about the great Lou Holtz?

Lou Holtz was the last coach to bring a National Championship to Notre Dame. He also was followed by scandal and violations everywhere he went. Minnesota, Notre Dame, and South Carolina all got probation as a result of his coaching character. How quickly we forget that Notre Dame got 2 years as a result of his great character.

When you are winning a war almost everything that happens can be claimed to be right and wise.

~ Winston Churchill

Brian Kelly was overlooked for quite a few head coaching jobs because of his character. He landed the Notre Dame job. People who knew him knew that he is an ass. At Grand Valley State he had to have security restrain him from his own fans. Michigan gave him a quick glance over but passed on him because he's too hot-headed. Notre Dame didn't pick this dude because he is a grower of pretty flowers. They picked him because he can coach and recruit. Getting rid of him for his character would be a bullshit reason because you knew what you were getting with this guy. He's a dick. Once he gets his players installed and the Weis recruits are gone, you will see why Notre Dame hired this guy. He is going to bring a National Championship to South Bend. He just isn't going to do it with half ass talent that Weis recruited. Is that a dickhead thing to say about your team? Yup. Expect anything more from Brian Kelly and you are a fool.

Myth 3 Urban Meyer is a great coach and Notre Dame should have him.

Urban Meyer got hot at the right time (Alabama and LSU were down), had Tim Tebow at the right time, and ran away when he couldn't produce more than 8 wins. He spent his time in the booth looking at programs. Watching and waiting. He had chances at Michigan, Notre Dame, and Ohio State. It isn't surprising that he took the OSU job. They are stacked with returning starters on defense and have one of the best up and coming QB's (Braxton Miller). He doesn't build shit. He takes someone else's hard work and credit. When the flames get hot, "heart attack! Health! Family! Time to run! Sorry folks gotta go" You are left holding the bag of shite that he left. Florida 6-6 anyone? Yeah. That's Urban Meyer, the man, the myth, the legend. What a douche.

Myth 4 Brian Kelly doesn't get Notre Dame.

For every post you can make about how he doesn't get our tradition, I can put up 15 that show he does. If you are going to nit-pick at a few comments and not look at the whole picture, then you are small minded and aren't even worth arguing with.

Myth 5 Three years is a magical number for a college coach.

I am not sure where this number came from. I have disproved this myth time and time again. Three years is not enough time to evaluate a coach at a top flight program. Need a refresher?

See here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18

coach_kelly wrote:By your standards Mike Bellotti would have been fired from Oregon 4 years before finishing #2 in the AP and Coaches poll with an 11-1 record. This 3 year crap is wrong and Notre Dame will suffer as long as that is the mentality of fans.

For further evidence -

You also would have fired Nick Saban from Michigan State 2 years before finishing #9 in the AP and Coaches poll with a 9-2 record.

You also would have fired Nick Saban from LSU the year prior to him winning the National Championship.

You would have fired Woody Hayes from Ohio State the year prior to him winning the National Championship.

I know that there have been coaches to achieve glory in 3 years, but those are the minority. You don't find those guys everywhere.

Face it kids, Brian Kelly is the best coach for this program. The sooner you stop kicking and screaming, the sooner you will stop having heartache over foolish things like piped in music and jumbo-trons. Re-establishing a winning tradition isn't easy. We have been lost in the woods for quite some time. Our shepherd is here to lead us out of the woods. If we chase him off then we deserve to fail.

Myth 6 This isn't a rebuilding effort.

This is a rebuilding effort. Charlie Weis. That sack of flesh went 3-9, 7-6, and 6-6 in his last 3 years here. The term the cupboard was bare doesn't cover it. The guy filled his cupboard with jelly donuts and hot apple pies. He of course ate them and left the wrappers all over the place. When Kelly took over this team of misfits, they resisted his initial coaching. Wondering why this guy was yelling. Wondering what he was so excited about. In their confusion they managed to go 4-5. Then in my eyes the transition took place. The Utah game last year after the loss to Tulsa. This was the moment that transition took place from the Charlie Weis era to the Brian Kelly era. The light bulb went on in most players heads. The Utah game was the signature win that season only capped by ending a losing streak against USC.

Brian Kelly doesn't make immediate friends. He is a course and rough guy. He has very strong opinions. He can be offensive. He isn't a cuddly bear. After going 4-5, the team has since posted a 12-4 record. Pretty much the same team that went a combined 16-21 over the past 3 years. Rebuilding? You bet. Turned this program around in a short amount of time? Hell yes. Give this guy 2 more years and you will see a miracle performed. The 2 or 3 folks on here calling for his head are just instant gratification "me me me" people. They have forgotten how low this program was when Coach Kelly took it over.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Re: Popular Myths

Postby coach_kelly » December 7th, 2011, 2:06 am

There is no rebuttal. I rest my case.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Postby coach_kelly » December 8th, 2011, 6:31 am

To the top!

/bump
coach_kelly

Postby algoldendomer » December 9th, 2011, 2:26 am

Not a myth - Brian Kelly has lost nine games in two seasons at ND.

Not a myth - Brian Kelly has lost to Michigan twice.

Not a myth - Brian Kelly lost to Tulsa and South Florida.

No rebuttal?
algoldendomer

Postby coach_kelly » December 9th, 2011, 3:38 pm

algoldendomer wrote:Not a myth - Brian Kelly has lost nine games in two seasons at ND.

In the last 16 games he is also 12-4. Slow start? Yes. Picked up the pace? Yes. He's got momentum right now.

algoldendomer wrote:Not a myth - Brian Kelly has lost to Michigan twice.

By 4 points both times. Weis was shut out 38-0. Remember that? That I can't live with. I can live with a loss if the coach put the players in a position to succeed. He has done that both times. Not that big of a deal when he wins next year.

algoldendomer wrote:Not a myth - Brian Kelly lost to Tulsa and South Florida.

Yes he did. When you are looking at a coach, you must look at -

1. The body of work as it compares to the previous coach.

16-9 (0.640) versus 35-27 (0.522)? I think it is obvious who is improving Notre Dame.

2. The trend of the current coach versus the trend of the previous coach. Weis - 9-3 (0.750), 10-3 (0.769), 3-9 (0.250), 7-6 (0.538), 6-6 (0.500). Kelly 8-5 (0.615) and 8-4 (0.667). He essentially took a squad that under Weis was 16-21 (0.432) as a team, and squeezed out a 8-5 record. The fact is that you can claim this is Brian Kelly's failure, but he is making miracles with a shell of a team.

algoldendomer wrote:No rebuttal?

:)
coach_kelly

Postby algoldendomer » December 9th, 2011, 3:48 pm

I will agree that 2010 was an improvement over 2009, albeit slight.

2011 was, at best, breakeven or perhaps a small step backwards against a CONSIDERABLY weaker schedule. Still got mauled by Stanford, still lost to Michigan, beat MSU but lost to USC, had a horrific loss (USF) - basically a repeat of the prior year, all with 50% more RKGs and 33% fewer Weis guys, whom you are so quick to blame everything on.

If your guy is so great, why no improvement in 2011?? With half a team of his own players now?
algoldendomer

Postby coach_kelly » December 9th, 2011, 3:51 pm

I suppose we could continue, but I think the most factual thing you said is that next year is important. I think we win 10 games, 9 if we're unlucky. 10 wins will get us into a BCS game for sure. Then there isn't much of an argument left.
coach_kelly

Postby algoldendomer » December 9th, 2011, 9:18 pm

coach_kelly wrote:I suppose we could continue, but I think the most factual thing you said is that next year is important. I think we win 10 games, 9 if we're unlucky. 10 wins will get us into a BCS game for sure. Then there isn't much of an argument left.

Finally we can agree on something - 10 wins next year and there isn't much of an argument left.

I see little chance of that, mind you, but hey, hope springs eternal!
algoldendomer

Postby coach_kelly » December 30th, 2011, 4:38 pm

Hey new people, here is something for you to read.
coach_kelly

Postby notredame1988 » December 30th, 2011, 10:23 pm

16-9 (0.640) versus 35-27 (0.522)? I think it is obvious who is improving Notre Dame.

True Brian Kelly is 16-9 in his first two years, but Charlie was 19-6 in his first two years. You can say that Charlie has Brady Quinn, but Kelly had Dayne Crist who is essentially the same type of quarterback. But unfortunately Kelly decided to take him out after half of a game, then let Rees throw tons of interceptions and not give poor Dayne another chance.

Here's to Dayne and Charlie doing well at Kansas.
notredame1988

Next

Return to Notre Dame Football Discussion