Rees is our starter and Kelly is our DOPE

Talk of ND football

Rees is our starter and Kelly is our DOPE

Postby algoldendomer » December 5th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Florida State has an excellent defense, and they rush the QB especially well. So what does our genius coach do? He announces that Tommy Rees, with feet of concrete, is to be our bowl starter. BRILLIANT! He'll be a sitting duck back there. I predict a 0-0 halftime score.

Of course it is possible that Kelly is one step ahead of all of us and is actually providing misdirection, announcing the immobile Rees while planning to start the mobile Hendrix. Don't count on it.

One more piece of evidence that our coach is a bumblebrain. If I were Hendrix, I'd transfer.
algoldendomer

Re: Rees is our starter and Kelly is our DOPE

Postby coach_kelly » December 5th, 2011, 8:52 pm

Florida State sucks. There isn't any analysis required.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Postby algoldendomer » December 6th, 2011, 7:32 am

Florida State's defense is the best ND will have played. With Rush 3 and drop 8, I can't envision ND scoring against them with Rees at QB. Their front 3 will get to Rees and we've already seen drop 8 shut down ND's passing game.

Now FSU hasn't much of an offense, but my betting money says that ND turns it over a couple times deep in their own territory, leading to some easy FSU scores.

With Rees at QB, I see FSU winning 13-10.
algoldendomer

Postby algoldendomer » December 6th, 2011, 7:37 am

Let me get this straight - Florida State (8-4) sucks, but Kelly's Irish (8-4) are awesome. Right?

8-4 against the 2011 schedule < 7-5 against the 2010 schedule, by the way. Notre Dame showed no meaningful progress this year. Disprove.
algoldendomer

Postby coach_kelly » December 6th, 2011, 11:33 am

algoldendomer wrote:Let me get this straight - Florida State (8-4) sucks, but Kelly's Irish (8-4) are awesome. Right?

8-4 against the 2011 schedule < 7-5 against the 2010 schedule, by the way. Notre Dame showed no meaningful progress this year. Disprove.

I am in a hurry this morning but I will show you (again) why FSU 8-4 is < ND 8-4. Also the progress has happened over 2 seasons. Not just 1.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Postby coach_kelly » December 6th, 2011, 1:00 pm

coach_kelly wrote:Oh Al, I love it when you talk fail to me.

algoldendomer wrote:Coach_Kelly -

8-4 is our record, not 9-4. Since your hero just announced he is staying with Tommy "Pocket Statue" Rees over the more mobile alternative, Andrew Hendrix, I think 8-5 is a real possibility (which will be the same record as last year against a MUCH weaker schedule this year). There has been no meaningful progress in 2011.

Your pedestrian analysis humors me. First, let us evaluate Florida State's weaknesses. Strong against the run and weak against the pass. This counters your argument that a mobile spread type quarterback is what we need. Let's look at the losses, shall we?

*Landry Jones/Oklahoma/Human Cannon/Statue - beat FSU 23-13. Needed slightly more than 3 scores and won mainly through defense. Notre Dame total defense (34) > Oklahoma total defense (62).
*Michael Rocco/Virginia/Poor Decision Maker/38 Carries for 23 Yards (Season!) - beat FSU 14-13. Needed 2 scores to win and won mainly through defense. Virginia total defense (30) > Notre Dame total defense (34).
*Tajh Boyd/Clemson/Rocket Arm/Mobile Like No/132 Carries for 186 Yards - beat FSU 35-30. Clemson won a shoot out because their defense is pretty bad. Notre Dame total defense (34) > Clemson total defense (59).
*Tanner Price/Wake Forest/Decent Arm/Runs Like Turtle Glued to Syrup - beat FSU 35-30. Once again a statue beat FSU by not scrambling. Notre Dame total defense (34) > Wake Forest total defense (75).

FSU also failed to beat a ranked opponent. Out of their 8 wins, only 3 of those teams made a bowl game. Played a pathetic schedule and scrapped out the same record as our beloved. But don't be fooled. Notre Dame's wins include a win over Michigan State, and 2 close losses against 2 BCS schools, and 1 against current #5 USC. Notre Dame will do to FSU what it did to Miami last year. Our statue will eat them alive. You couldn't be more wrong about Rees as the right QB for this job. Brian Kelly knows it and that's why he named him starter.

Let's put out the resumes of both teams.

Florida State

OK Pass Defense, Great Run Defense (sounds like Michigan State - you remember how that game turned out, no?). Terrible offense. Played in a very anemic (that means bad dabres) ACC this year. Coaches love to game plan a team like this, you don't wanna rush more than 3? Perfect.

Signature Wins
Florida (6-6)
Miami (6-6)

Only played 2 ranked opponents (Oklahoma and Clemson) and went 0-2. Only 1 of those is bound for a BCS bowl game (Clemson as the ACC AQ). Were outscored in those games 58-43. Their amazing defense should hold us to 30 (lol)? Should be more than enough to outscore their terrible offense. Came in at #48 on strength of schedule. Came in at #6 total defense. Came in at #73 total offense.

Notre Dame

Good Pass Defense, Good Run Defense. Good Offense. Played a pretty difficult schedule this year. Balanced offense and defense.

Signature Win
Michigan State (10-3)

Played 4 ranked opponents and went 1-3. Of those 2 are bound for BCS bowls (Michigan & Stanford - both at large bids) and 1 would be eligible if not dirty dirty (USC). The other ranked opponent, Michigan State was runner up in the B1G and was just outside of a BCS bid. In those 4 games against ranked oppenents Notre Dame scored 93 points to their opponents 107. For an average score of 23-27. Lost a WTF game against South Florida and there isn't anything that can take that away, but that is our worst loss this year. Came in at #34 on strength of schedule. Came in at #34 total defense. Came in at #33 total offense.

Also, to address your question about progress. After coming into a team that went 16-21 from 2007-2009 (3-9, 7-6, 6-6) under Weis it looked as though we were in for more suck. Brian Kelly took the reigns and led us to a 4-5 start. Wait, what? Why would I, an avid Brian Kelly supporter bring up that terrible starting record? Is it possibly for contrast? I would say yes. Since that terrible 4-5 start with a group of misfits Brian Kelly has been 12-4. We all forget how this program was in dire straits (that means bad dabres) when Coach Kelly took over. Make no mistake, this is a rebuild. We are part way through the second year of a work in progress. You want to bitch and whine now, fine. Coach Kelly has far exceeded my expectations last year and this year. The guy is performing miracles for a team that mainly consists of the same players who could hardly put together a 0.500 season. Memories are short at Notre Dame. How quickly we all forget that Weis had delivered us to toilet land. We can't just expect that

"We're Notre Dame and we are awesome-sauce LOL!! We win games cause we are awesome!! Our milkshake brings all the boys to the yard!! Coach Kelly sucks because he loses games!! Fire him because he is a loser!!"

A work in progress. Next year will produce 9 or 10 wins. Bank on it. Three years of Weis 3-9, 7-6, and 6-6 versus three years of Kelly 7-5, 9-4, 10-3? I would say that a 9 win regular season and a decent bowl win would be improvement. How can you argue otherwise?
coach_kelly

Postby algoldendomer » December 6th, 2011, 4:28 pm

Florida State - sixth ranked defense with a very good pass rush. There is no way ND is going to score much against that defense, not with an immobile QB. BC held ND to 16 points, dropping 8 in coverage. FSU won't score too many either, but ND will lose the game on turnovers by Tommy Rees, Kelly's golden boy - shows Kelly has a bit of a blind spot, 'cause Rees aint very good. He may have a weak arm, but he's slow. He may be accurate but he throws alot of interceptions. Oh, and he's fumbled it away 4 times. Sweet. Rees is not going to lead ND to the promised land.

ND may very well have the same 8-5 record as 2010 against a decidedly easier schedule in 2011. If ever there were a year ND should have made a BCS Bowl, 2011 was it. But what do we have?? One decent win. One awful loss (USF). One lopsided loss to a very good Stanford team (28-7 until the last few seconds), two losses to good teams (USC, Michigan - with the game blown in the last 20 seconds - unforgivable!!). The remaining wins over awful to mediocre teams (Navy, AFA, Purdue, BC, Wake, Maryland, Pitt) including frighteningly close calls with Pitt, Wake and BC. The 2010 performance was significantly better, with much less experienced players and fewer "Right kinda guys."

Kelly sucks. He took a big step backwards this year. After he craps the bed on the way to 6-6 next year, he'll be history.

And you like Brian Kelly more than you like Notre Dame - disprove.
algoldendomer

Postby algoldendomer » December 6th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Notre Dame #33 total offense, #34 total defense, DEAD LAST punt returns (what's that?) - all with TOP TEN TALENT - yeah, check it out. How'd that happen? It takes crappy coaching to turn in those kinds of numbers!
algoldendomer

Postby coach_kelly » December 6th, 2011, 5:06 pm

algoldendomer wrote:Kelly sucks. He took a big step backwards this year. After he craps the bed on the way to 6-6 next year, he'll be history.

Brian Kelly is trending upward. Consider his record from the Utah game last year until now and there isn't a single thing you can offer up that discredits this simple fact. He is 12-4 and soon to be 13-4. After next year when he wins 10 games you will have a very difficult time running Kelly out of town. Charlie Weis was the step backwards. 3-9, 7-6, 6-6. He left this program in horrible shape. It's ok though. Brian Kelly cares enough about the program to bring us back.

algoldendomer wrote:And you like Brian Kelly more than you like Notre Dame - disprove.

The only way Notre Dame turns this awful corner in our history is by not making the biggest mistake in our history. That would be firing Brian Kelly. After his 2nd National Championship and his 100th win as head coach of Notre Dame, you will look foolish. I know only one of us can be right, but I'm pretty sure it isn't you. You simply don't like Notre Dame, it's ok though. No one on this forum (besides myself) will call you on it.

Also let's dispute this uninformed opinion:

Florida State - sixth ranked defense with a very good pass rush.
They give up more sacks than they create though (9.62% offensive sacks vs 8.59% defensive sacks).

There is no way ND is going to score much against that defense, not with an immobile QB.
Yeah, Michigan State had a very similar defense and we struggled all day long against that...also, your immobile quarterback Rees had one less sack than Denard Robinson. Wrap your head around that one.

BC held ND to 16 points, dropping 8 in coverage.
Notre Dame also held the Boston College offense to 14 points thereby creating in college football what is known as a win.

FSU won't score too many either, but ND will lose the game on turnovers by Tommy Rees, Kelly's golden boy - shows Kelly has a bit of a blind spot, 'cause Rees aint very good.
Against this middle of the road team Rees will probably throw an interception. He will also throw for around 300 yards. I predict 3 touchdown throws and a carreer day. See, I can make shit up too.

He may have a weak arm, but he's slow. He may be accurate but he throws alot of interceptions. Oh, and he's fumbled it away 4 times. Sweet. Rees is not going to lead ND to the promised land.
His winning record as a starter would like to have a word with you.
coach_kelly

Return to Notre Dame Football Discussion