Kelly must go now

Talk of ND football

Re: Kelly must go now

Postby algoldendomer » September 12th, 2011, 6:20 pm

I will say this - it's obvious that every time ND lines up with two tight ends and a single back, we're running the ball. We do NOT pass out of that formation. Kinda makes it easy for the opposing linebackers, huh? That is simply poor coaching.

One other thought - it seems to me that an integral component of Kelly's offense has always been the threat of a running QB - neither Rees nor Crist are really any threat to run. Rees gets another chance on Saturday, but if ND goes 0-3, I say put in Hendrix or Golson and mix things up.

Oh, and WHERE was Aaron Lynch on Saturday night? The guy's a freak, and ND isn't playing him. Go figure!
algoldendomer

Postby B_Kelly_is_a_joke » September 12th, 2011, 7:17 pm

I've seen all I need to see at this point to know that on this stage he will not win big games unless he changes his approach on game day.

He out does himself with his destructive, tear them down attitude - his constant nagging and harping on ridiculous things. He concerns himself with ushering players to the locker room - runs around yelling at them to get moving at halftime. These are pretty close to being grown men - not 5th graders playing pop Warner football.

He spends 100 hours scheming all of these plays you mention, but do we win the games?

I have no issue with his game plan or play calling (90% of the time). 90% is pretty damn good as far as I am concerned. Probably 100% better than I would do. When I say "in the end" I mean before it's all said and done as the game wears on. He wears on you, tears you down. He coaches on game day the way a good coaches coach in practice. He's like an itchy rash that won't go away. He puts his nose in everyone's business all the time. We have a dozen assistants on the sideline. We have trainers and medics. But that's not good enough for him. If a guy has a cut, he's over there yelling and screaming at the player for getting cut and yelling at the trainer on how to apply the bandage.

He's in the middle of everything. Every discussion with every player. Having coached myself as a head coach, and or an assistant, I know for a fact that does not work (for the head guy to micro manage everything from the water boy to the equipment manager).

We punted 2 times like you say. Did you see what happened on one of them? I have no clue what really happened or what Kelly didn't like (likely something minor because the kick was not all that bad), but as the punter came off the field, our special teams guy and him engaged in a conversation and here comes Mr. Kelly stomping and storming his way in and muscling his way between the two of them. Micro manages everything - a total tyrant on the side line.

We scored in the final minute because Michigan's Defense is a bigger joke than ours. I have no idea what this guy did to turn CMU or Cincinnati into winners (or if it was over blown), because I didn't watch him or their games. Obviously I do not have a ring side seat at his practices.
B_Kelly_is_a_joke

Postby stop_hating » September 14th, 2011, 3:51 am

I must say, no one in the Notre Dame community is proud to have any of you as fans. Firing Kelly is not the answer. He isn't the one who gave the ball up nine times in the first two weeks; that was the players on the field. We are all dumber for having read your comments.
stop_hating

Postby You're_all_frauds » September 14th, 2011, 7:44 am

What is wrong with you people? Who cares if a coach swears at his players? It's college football. It's a multi-million dollar industry. If the coach wants to swear at his players, he can swear at his players.

Second, Notre Dame is not a football powerhouse anymore. They ARE NOT A TOP FLIGHT FOOTBALL SCHOOL. They haven't been for a long time. They probably never will be again. GET OVER IT.

Stop whining about every little thing. Join a conference. You're not that special that you shouldn't be part of a conference anymore. You wanna be in a BCS bowl? Join the Big East for football and beat up on those sad football schools. It'll make you look great. You can feel good about beating UConn, Syracuse and Louisville.

Seriously. It's not 1980 anymore. Notre Dame football is a joke. I know you're pissed about it but it's the truth. Deal with it.
You're_all_frauds

Postby Sylveedy » September 14th, 2011, 4:38 pm

The general behaviour of people in the internet is just sad. Almost all of you seem to hate coach Kelly, a person I believe none of you has ever met in your life so far. You never had a discussion with him about football, about the spread offense or the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. You just hate and like all haters you have lost your way. Like all haters you are neither fair nor do you have the capacity anymore to be objective.
Brian Kelly is a proven coach and that is more than I can say about most of you haters in this forum. He had success at Grand Valley State, made a winner out of Central Michigan and made a BCS Bowl contender out of the Cincinnati Bearcats. In fact, he was using and working on the Spread Offense while in Cincinnati at a time when other colleges where just starting to implement the Spread Offense.
It is not known so far that Brian Kelly had major problems with his players in any of the aforementioned schools. It is also not known that the programs led by Brian Kelly were penalized by the NCAA after he had left. But still someone in this forum accused him of running the program of Notre Dame into NCAA sanctions. May I remind you that Notre Dame was placed under a two year suspension by the NCAA in 1999 for extra benefits provided by the representative of the university to football players and for one instance of accademic fraud and that the NCAA found the efforts of Lou Holtz and his staff, who had known about this violations, to make an appropriate inquiry or take prompt actions "inadequate". May I also inform you that several college teams coached by Lou Holtz were placed under a suspension after he had left (Minnesota: placed on a two year probation for 17 violations, 2 commited by Lou Holtz during his tenure, as mentioned before Notre Dame in 1999, South Carolina in 2005, placed under a three year suspension by the NCAA for ten admitted violations under Holtz, five were found to be major). So far, Brian Kelly never ran into the same trouble Lou Holtz did, but still some of you think it is appropriate to insult and accuse him for running Notre Dame into NCAA sanctions without giving any proof to justify your accusations.
Then some of you call coach Kelly a "narcisstic" person. Am I right that those of you who use this term are psychiatrists then and competent enough to make such an assessment of the character of a human being? First of all, a professional psychiatrist would never make any assumptions or would judge a person based on ...what? A football game on tv? Where do you all get your informations about the personal character of Brian Kelly? Are you a member of the team, talking to team members every day, talking to coach Kelly every day or is watching a game on tv enough evidence for you people to evaluate and judge a person's character? A professional shrink does not show up in tv, making evaluations about other people based on pictures. A professional talks to the person he has to evaluate.
I will tell you all a big secret, something that is usually hidden in some books. Notre Dame has a defensive coordinator. His name is Bob Diaco. The Irish also have a defensive backs coack named Chuck Martin. In fact,they have one defensive coordinator and several position coaches. Do not tell anyone, but the defensive coordinator is the one calling the plays on defensive downs. Brian Kelly is known for being in charge of the offense, and therefore the responsibility for the defense belongs, like it is the way with almost every other major college team, to the defensive coordinator. But the funny thing is, no one is criticizing Bob Diaco for the blown coverage which led to a 64 yard gain for Michigan prior to the touchdown. Since Brian Kelly is obviously in charge of the offense, Bob Diaco was obviously calling the plays on defense. Since we were not on the sideline it is hard to tell if he just called the wrong play or if the players screwed it up. But it is obvious that it was not the fault of Brian Kelly that resulted in a desastrous play for the Irish. And it is also not the fault of Brian Kelly that defensive backs coach Chuck Martin was not able so far to tell his defensive backs to turn their heads and look out for the football. Is Brian Kelly responsible for the loss against Michigan? Of course, he is the head coach and he has to take the blame for a loss. He gets cheered when he wins and gets blamed for a loss. That is one of the reasons a head coach in college gets more than minimum wage as payment. But is he "really" responsible in a moral sense for a defensive unit who made a huge mistake? Of course not. He is also not responsible for the turnovers the Irish have produced so far. The positive aspect of the season so far is the offense, who gained over 1000 yards in two games and ranks 10 in the nation in that category. The Notre Dame offense, run by Brian Kelly is clicking. The players are responsible if they fumble or throw interceptions. So far, the offense played very well but was self destructing in both games. The team, especially the players have to work on that. If they can reduce the turnovers, the Irish will be fine on offense. The defense has to work on their mental toughness. The defensive backs have to learn to turn their heads around to watch out for the football and to do this again and again while not being flagged for defensive pass interference. And three things to come to an end:
1. Michigan last year - eschewed the FG at the end of the 1st half, despite playing a 3rd string QB. Lost by less than 3. Sheer idiocy.
A incompetend evaluation of what happened. Since no one of us can look into the future, to criticize a coach for that decision is simply ridiculous, a couch potatoe opionion at its best.
2. Tulsa game last year - lost because Kelly called a throw to the endzone, intercepted. FG would have won.
The Tulsa game was not lost because Brian Kelly called a pass play. First of all, what Brian Kelly did in that situation was showing his team that he had the utmost confidence in their abilities. By going for the win instead for the field goal he showed the team how highly he was thinking of them. Like I said, the game was not lost because he called a pass play, the game was lost because the quarterback threw an interception. The quarterback should have either taken a sack or should have thrown the ball away, instead he forced the ball into the endzone and got picked off. That was the reason Notre Dame lost, not the play that was called. Calling a pass play in such a situation does not necessarily mean a turnover. If the play would be run again, Tommy Rees would not make that throw a second time.
3. Michigan this year - rushed four and eschewed dime or quarter coverage. UM went 80 yards, 2 plays, 21 seconds. How can a receiver POSSIBLY be THAT OPEN??? That loss is 100% on Kelly and that is borderline unforgivable. Seriously, if I were AD, I mighta fired him on the way to the locker room.
Wrong assessment once again. The defensive coordinator calls the plays on defensive downs, not Brian Kelly. The play looks like someone missed his assignment. And there were enough defensive backs on the field to prevent such a huge pass play.
And last but not least, just because someone has a different opinion, it does not mean that you can tell him to shut up. Notre Dame is a catholic university. It is one basic priniciple of being a christian to respect other people. You do not have to agree with them, but you have to respect other people's opinion. Telling someone to shut up just because you don't like what he has to say or to write is neither what being a Notre Dame fan is all about nor is this how a catholic/christian should behave.
Sylveedy

Postby coach_kelly » September 14th, 2011, 10:25 pm

Like you chuckleheads could do any better. Impatient Notre Dame fans make for 3 more losses in a row to Michigan. Nobody wants to coach at Notre Dame because our tradition has been dead for 22 years. Face it, we aren't worthy of Urban or Stoops or Saban. We got the best guy for the job.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Postby rudy » September 15th, 2011, 1:38 am

Sylveedy wrote: In fact, he was using and working on the Spread Offense while in Cincinnati at a time when other colleges where just starting to implement the Spread Offense.

RIchRod will laugh at your statement.
rudy

Postby rudy » September 15th, 2011, 1:41 am

coach_kelly wrote:Like you chuckleheads could do any better. Impatient Notre Dame fans make for 3 more losses in a row to Michigan. Nobody wants to coach at Notre Dame because our tradition has been dead for 22 years. Face it, we aren't worthy of Urban or Stoops or Saban. We got the best guy for the job.

if you are willing to settle for a coach whose highest goal is to beat teams in the big east, i guess yeah, brian kelly can stay. wait, actually he couldn't beat USF
rudy

Postby coach_kelly » September 15th, 2011, 2:22 am

rudy wrote:
coach_kelly wrote:Like you chuckleheads could do any better. Impatient Notre Dame fans make for 3 more losses in a row to Michigan. Nobody wants to coach at Notre Dame because our tradition has been dead for 22 years. Face it, we aren't worthy of Urban or Stoops or Saban. We got the best guy for the job.

if you are willing to settle for a coach whose highest goal is to beat teams in the big east, i guess yeah, brian kelly can stay. wait, actually he couldn't beat USF

His highest goal is not to win against the Big East. His goal is to bring honor and integrity back to our program. He has heart and character and he will win a lot of games for us. Let's be honest, Notre Dame is a pretty crappy job for a coach. The pay is good, sure, but the stability isn't because of nuts like yourself. Get back in bed little impatient kid, it's way way way past your bedtime.

Notre Dame will win every remaining game this year besides Stanford.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Postby mikrent4ND » September 15th, 2011, 2:35 am

....to Bar Louie , the happy hour specials are fantastic during the week. Come on guys lets see what he does against Sparty.
mikrent4ND

PreviousNext

Return to Notre Dame Football Discussion