admin
Site Admin

Re: Hire Skip Holtz!

Postby domer » September 4th, 2011, 1:58 am

I concur!
domer

Postby SIM » September 5th, 2011, 11:46 am

Trend is to hire the "hot" coach at any program. Kelly was the "hot" coach when hired, but his character must been questioned by the way he left his former program. Holtz is "hot" because he has won a game vs Irish. He's in a win-win situation right now, why leave? More money, that's why, but if he remains "hot" other schools that are actually relevent to the national picture will offer him. ND hasn't been relevent in 20 years when it comes to winning a title. The sooner the fanbase realizes that, and the media stops hyping up the Irish both will realize that a nice season would to be ranked somewhere in the top 25, with an occasional top 10. I have come to that realization about 10 years ago, and have accepted it. Being an independent is not helping. I think the Big East should be considered to help both parties, and is the only way to reverse the trend that is what we see, which is similar to what the Ivies went through in the late 50's-early 60's and what the service academies have gone through after that. Having an exclusive TV package WAS a boost in early 90's, but almost everyone of the 60 games each week are televised. Join a conference!
SIM

Postby algoldendomer » September 7th, 2011, 7:52 pm

I take issue with your post in so many respects:

First, Holtz would come to ND not for the money, but because he's an alum and I presume, devoted fan.

Second, I disagree that ND has some sort of terminal illness that relegates it to second class status in college football forever. If Charlie Weis showed us anything, it's that ND can recruit. Brian Kelly is rapidly proving that ND can recruit defensive players. ND can play at the highest level in college football, and I believe will again. I abhor an attitude such as yours which says that ND cannot.

Third, Holtz didn't do too much to convince me that he would be the right replacement for Kelly. ND basically handed him the game. That said, his team did not make the stupid mistakes that ND did, and he had them believing they could win, which is a plus. Through two lightning delays, he kept his team together. And USF won with better execution (case in point the on-sides kick at the end, where MFloyd was waiting for the ball to land in his hands, and the USF player cut in front of him to take it away). USF seems to have wanted it more, which I attribute to Holtz (although nobody wanted this win more than Kelly). ND was too busy reading press clippings I suppose.

I am not ready to throw in the towel on Brian Kelly. But this loss, plus last year's loss to Tulsa, are not a good omen. ND really needs a victory over UM to get things back on track. This season can be a great success or disaster - we'll get a great indication of which it will be on Saturday night.
algoldendomer

Postby SIM » September 8th, 2011, 3:05 am

Please allow me to explain my post. First of all I do not think that Skip Holtz is at all interested in the ND job right. If his goal is to win a national championship, the sad reality is ND is not the spot right now. Also he may not be the right guy. I am not saying that the situation cannot change, but there has to be a serious investigation into getting into a conference. Without it the trend I described in my prior post will continue. Let's face it, we haven't been "relevent" in the national championship race in about 20 years, so an occasional top 10 finish is about all we can expect, that is the bitter truth. The way college football is trending, conference play is a must, especially one where the Irish can have a legitimate chance of winning and playing in a BCS game. That's where the Big East comes into the picture. As for coach Weiss and his recruiting prowess, well, the record speaks for itself. We as fans have to stop getting excited by the internet recruiting rankings, because those sites have admitted ranking the ND classes higher than they are, because ND fans will then visit the site more often. More hits means more money for the sites. You can check with rivals.com on that. They admitted it a few years back All is not lost, but things have to change. Perhaps coach Kelly can direct that change. We have some very good and some good players on the team, but there are too many teams right now with more talent. There are several reasons for that, one of which is a chance to play for a conference and then national championship. I won't get into mudslinging as to some other reasons, but we kind of know some of them, don't we? Saturday's game is big, and then the following game. The remainder of the season depends on them.
SIM

Postby B_Kelly_is_a_joke » September 11th, 2011, 5:10 am

I don't know who the next coach should be, but Brian Kelly is as much of a fraud (and probably much more of a detriment) to ND than was Charlie Weis. Kelly has issues upstairs. He's not all there mentally. He's a severe narcissist who tries to micro manage everything from the water boy to the locker room attendant. Players can't not stand his possessive attitude and constant nagging and harping. He has very little character on the side line, in the locker room, off the field, etc.... He's big time trouble. Way in over his head at ND.

He's a disgrace to ND. Never before was he ever in the spot light like he is now - and it's all showing. He's bum who needs to go - and if anyone can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.
B_Kelly_is_a_joke

Postby coachcft » September 11th, 2011, 5:17 am

We are going to get an upclose look at a man's character this season. A very very good look.
coachcft

Postby B_Kelly_is_a_joke » September 11th, 2011, 5:54 am

Well algoldendomer - did you get an indication tonight?

What a joke this game was. You can read my posts if you would like to see where I come out on this issue.
B_Kelly_is_a_joke

Re: Hire URBAN MEYER

Postby UrbanAnswer » September 11th, 2011, 7:17 am

the master plan should be this....

make the football program almost a school in itself with its own admissions policies. get urban meyer in there and start recruiting players with less book smarts and more football ability. stock the roster up with 4 and 5 star caliber talent. let urban coach them up and get us on track to WINNING games.

screw the graduation rate. FOOTBALL FOOTBALL FOOTBALL
UrbanAnswer

Postby NDFI1995 » September 11th, 2011, 7:54 am

admin wrote:I've seen enough of Brian Kelly

Amen.
NDFI1995

Next

Return to Notre Dame Football Discussion