Give the guy a break

Talk of ND football

Give the guy a break

Postby BakoIrishFan » September 16th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Why Irish fans why? I don't want to see a repeat mistake. Look Brian Kelly has had all of 15 games under his belt as the head coach of ND. He's had one full year of recruiting and a pretty successful one at that. Most of the players on the field are Weis guys. When Willingham was fired he left behind one of the last great recruiting classes that included Brady Quinn, Jeff Samardzija, and Tom Zbikowski. A year last ND fired him. Could he had done as well as Weis did with those players...who knows? But lets not find out this time. Brian Kelly has so far made a good impression on the with recruiting and looks to improve. Why fire the guy after only one full season? I am just as upset over the last two loses as any good Irish fan would be but 10 turnovers in 2 games is hardly all on the head coach. Any good coach, or any coach worth a damn needs at least two full season of recruiting to make an impact on the field. Usually by year 3 if the team hasn't made the necessary improvements then it probably won't happn. Kelly is currently in his second year, he has a sophmore QB leading the way (pretty good I might add), a really good sophmore RB, a young OL, lots of juniors and seniors on the defensive side of the ball. How about we give him a year or two to get his feet wet before we call for head.
BakoIrishFan

Re: Give the guy a break

Postby coach_kelly » September 17th, 2011, 12:46 am

By your standards Mike Bellotti would have been fired from Oregon 4 years before finishing #2 in the AP and Coaches poll with an 11-1 record. This 3 year crap is wrong and Notre Dame will suffer as long as that is the mentality of fans.

For further evidence -

You also would have fired Nick Saban from Michigan State 2 years before finishing #9 in the AP and Coaches poll with a 9-2 record.

You also would have fired Nick Saban from LSU the year prior to him winning the National Championship.

You would have fired Woody Hayes from Ohio State the year prior to him winning the National Championship.

I know that there have been coaches to achieve glory in 3 years, but those are the minority. You don't find those guys everywhere.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Postby BakoIrishFan » September 18th, 2011, 3:55 am

If you would noticed I said "usually" by year 3. Its the standard I didn't say it was the end all be all. I am trying to point out that Kelly has hardly had an impact on the current group of guys playing each Saturday. Lets give the guy a couple more years. Maybe by year 3 or possible year 4 we will see a noticeable difference and the reason why he was hired in the first place. All those coaches you mentioned are great coaches and have proven so at every stop they have made and so has Kelly. Lets not get ridiculous with our expectations of this guy. Give him a chance and he will prove why he was hired.
BakoIrishFan

Postby coach_kelly » September 18th, 2011, 7:45 pm

BakoIrishFan wrote:If you would noticed I said "usually" by year 3. Its the standard I didn't say it was the end all be all. I am trying to point out that Kelly has hardly had an impact on the current group of guys playing each Saturday. Lets give the guy a couple more years. Maybe by year 3 or possible year 4 we will see a noticeable difference and the reason why he was hired in the first place. All those coaches you mentioned are great coaches and have proven so at every stop they have made and so has Kelly. Lets not get ridiculous with our expectations of this guy. Give him a chance and he will prove why he was hired.

I agree with you to a point. I don't have to give him a chance, I know that he is the right choice. Yesterday proves that point.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Postby coach_kelly » October 23rd, 2011, 3:11 pm

Here you go whiners, this is a good read for you.
coach_kelly

Postby SIM » October 24th, 2011, 3:06 pm

I agree. Coach Kelly should be given a chance. It takes some time to turn things around. It appears that the ship has been steadied. That in itself is a start. We as fans must realize that SAINT CHARLIE was not as great of a recruiter that was led to believe. Actually he won with Ty's guys, and floundered with his own. We have good talent, not great talent. Next year will give a better read on the players recruited by Kelly. As I have said in other posts," We may have top 25 talent, but not top 10".
SIM

Postby coach_kelly » October 30th, 2011, 4:53 am

SIM wrote:I agree. Coach Kelly should be given a chance. It takes some time to turn things around. It appears that the ship has been steadied. That in itself is a start. We as fans must realize that SAINT CHARLIE was not as great of a recruiter that was led to believe. Actually he won with Ty's guys, and floundered with his own. We have good talent, not great talent. Next year will give a better read on the players recruited by Kelly. As I have said in other posts," We may have top 25 talent, but not top 10".

You speak with common sense. I am glad you are a fan of this program.
coach_kelly

Postby algoldendomer » October 31st, 2011, 2:20 pm

Coach_Kelly, it's idiots like you that ALMOST make me want the shrimpy little shanty-Irish narcissistic douche of a coach to fail. :?

But I do not. I want him to succeed, despite his rather serious character flaws.
algoldendomer

Postby coach_kelly » November 1st, 2011, 12:03 am

algoldendomer - it is people like you that make the fan base seem like such fucking pussies. Stop being a fucking pussy. You are disrespecting your school when you do.
coach_kelly

Postby algoldendomer » November 1st, 2011, 1:40 am

Coach_Kelly, what would be really funny is if you are the REAL Coach Kelly! At that I would have to laugh.

Brave of you to call me "pussy" on a message board. You should have showed up for the FireBrianKelly.com Navy tailgater (held despite lightning, thunder and hail-snow). You coulda called me that to my face.
algoldendomer

Next

Return to Notre Dame Football Discussion