It takes time

Talk of ND football

It takes time

Postby NorthWestNDFan » September 15th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Many people hold Lou Holtz in high regard as a Notre Dame football coach, and that man will bleed blue and gold till the day he dies. Building a program takes time, in his first two years at ND Lou Holtz was 13-10 and he grabbed players by the facemask on the sideline, chewed them out spit and all, and probably used words like f**k, sh*t, a**, and everything in between. Were you all calling for his head in '86?? My guess is you were and then '88 came and he was the best thing that happened to Notre Dame, and I agree with that he was a great coach and he understood building a team takes time and he did it. Kelly is an amazing coach and if you can't see that you don't know shit about the game, it takes time and he will take Notre Dame back to the top just like Lou did.
NorthWestNDFan

Re: It takes time

Postby coach_kelly » September 16th, 2011, 12:17 am

In 1988 most of the whiners probably weren't born. It takes a MAN to coach Notre Dame. It takes a MAN to be a fan. Quit whining you wrist-slitters. We will be 10-2 after Stanford.
Brian Kelly is rebuilding Notre Dame. Charlie Weis almost destroyed Notre Dame. Once you remember these facts, the rest is petty bullshit.
coach_kelly

Re: It takes time

Postby algoldendomer » September 16th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Dipstick, 1986 was Holtz's first year, and there were obvious signs of progress. Holtz wasn't losing to teams like Tulsa or Navy, that's for sure. He lost a squeaker to Penn State, for instance.

By 1987, ND was thrashing the likes of Alabama 37-3 (oh that was a glorious, sunny afternoon at ND! - so yes, I was born, and I remember it well!). When Kelly is beating good teams 37-3, then I'll agree with you.

Oh, and Lou won it all in 1988 in year 3. Do you think, based on the way this season's started, that that's something even the most optimistic among us could ever hope for?

PUHLEEASE do not compare Kelly to Holtz - so far they have is precious little in common.
algoldendomer

Return to Notre Dame Football Discussion